Support beam???

Originally Posted By: jrooff
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

icon_biggrin.gif

www.mshomeinspector.com

Originally Posted By: away

James,

I don't think you can make the assumption that this is actually a manufactured beam based on the finger joints. Most studs I see in new construction today are finger jointed that way. So it could be something site built rather than designed and manufactured off site.

As for the picture size you can always just insert them as links in your post. That way it people can pick and choose if they want to view all of them or not. I have wireless broadband and it goes fairly fast but I still found myself waiting for all the pictures to load. Others here have dial up.

If you are unsure how to insert it as a link, I think there is a sticky post somewhere on how to do it. Also I think there is a tutorial somewhere here as well.

--
Andrew Way
Keystone Residential Inspection Services PLLC
www.keystoneinspections.com

Originally Posted By: tallen

icon_biggrin.gif

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

The reason I assumed (I know it’s a scary word) it was manufactured is for the last 16 years that I’ve been building homes I would need 3 truck loads of 2x4’s to get 7 2x4’s to match up that good in width. icon_sad.gif Plus look at the glue it’s more of a rosin base not commonly found out in the field.

www.mshomeinspector.com

Originally Posted By: psabados

James kill your link, and paste this one in

![](upload://mVoBvlmRrdjTQE4wfJ8DWU3xUy7.jpeg)

Don't want all these grumpy old inspectors ratchet jawing you about size. We all know its speak softly and carry a big pic

Paul

Free Nachos

--
NACHI Vice President

NACHI Foundation, President

Convention Coordinator

Originally Posted By: ckratzer

James,

That is very bizzare to me.I’ve never seen anything like it.I wonder why the builder didn’t use a steel I beam or at least 3- 2 X 12s nailed or screwed together and set on edgewise.If that is an acceptable “technique” I would never use it in one of my homes simply because it is ,in my humble opinion,dumb.Maybe our engineer friends can enlighten us but I don’t think this is the strongest way to build a home.

Thanks Paul, dam computers anyway icon_lol.gif

ckratzer, I see no strength in this application either. On the other side they had a steel I beam and a triple laminate would of worked and it could of clear spanned and got rid of that post in the center. Approx. 12 ft. span and a steel post in the center, what a waste.

--
www.mshomeinspector.com

Originally Posted By: mkober

Not a particularly good application. As mentioned, clear span steel would have been a lot better. In addition, I’m reasonably certain finger-jointed (glued) 2 x’s are only intended by the manufacturers and the industry to be used as pure compression members. This is not the case in the photo, where the finger-jointed 2 x is part of a flexural member, albeit acting in the compression zone of the negative bending-moment portion of the built-up beam.

Michael J. Kober, P.E. and H.I.

"NACHI Member and Proud Of It!"

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Were there any markings on the girder? Looks like it might be a manufactured “Glu-Lam” beam which would probably be okay … although I haven’t seen one with finger joined lumber yet. They are assembled under pressure with special glue, which is probably why ya noticed the difference. They have proven performance in relatively dry areas, and fairly common for commercial construction,

There should be a manufacturer's mark somewhere, or I would write that up as a concern. Also look for a noticeable visulal sag/deflection ... it shouldn;t be an obvious deflection.

http://www.apawood.org/glu_level_b.cfm?content=prd_glu_main

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: lkage

roconnor wrote:
Were there any markings on the girder? Looks like it might be a manufactured "Glu-Lam" beam which would probably be okay ... although I haven't seen one with finger joined lumber yet. They are assembled under pressure with special glue, which is probably why ya noticed the difference.

There should be a manufacturer's mark somewhere, or I would write that up as a concern.

http://www.apawood.org/glu_level_b.cfm?content=prd_glu_main

Over the years I built with lots of these Glu-Lams. They came with a crown engineered in to offset the load figured. Haven't seen them around for a while. Better choices out there today.

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: roconnor

lkage wrote:
Over the years I built with lots of these Glu-Lams. They came with a crown engineered in to offset the load figured. Haven't seen them around for a while. Better choices out there today.

Agreed, and I mostly see LVL's ("microlams"), or prefabricated flitch beams (e.g. "Better Header" composite wood/steel) and steel I-beams for heavier loads. I still run across some Glu-Lams occasionally. But I always look for the manufacturer's mark, or write it up as a concern. I also think Glu-Lam girders are a concern in potentially high moisture ares (roof framing or unfinished basements).

Just my opinion and 2-nickels ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

I specify Glu-lam all the time. They are used a lot in my area. They are often less expensive than the engineered lumber. I’ve never seen a flitch beam in my area (although I provided a design for a custom project once).

I camber can be an issue. I have seen them install the beams upside down...nothing like a built in deflection. I do see a lot of the finger jointed studs in the Glu-lams.

--
Curtis