Fire Trap

Found this on a rental a few agents were thinking of buying to F&F.

Not sure if you can see it, besides the double taps, the missing dead front and the melted plastic behind the left main lug…check out the bypass of the main service feeds to the power bus bypassing the main breaker … with coat hangers!!!
Could not believe this !

Picture 169 (Copy).jpg

Coat hangers work good for quick welding rods too! LOL

That needs to have the power shut off until it is fixed.

I bet the rest of the POS was just as bad.

What do you expect for a rental. LOL

But seriously I see so many landlords who just want to make easy money, buy the cheapest home they can find,(some around are selling for $10,000) and make no repairs on the home because if it burns then they claim the renters were at fault and collect the insurance. They have no care about the family living and take no responsibility.

Being a city Housing Enforcement Officer this pisses me off when I find this crap. The land lords get upset because I would condemn the home until repairs are made and inspected.

I agree, someone should come out and pull the meter.

So, who would make the call to have that done? Everyone knows that until a Sparky or an AHJ see’s it, it could be in there forever!

Balls! Anyone got 'em? :mrgreen:

This is one of those moments where it’s hard not to be biased. I know we are supposed to be neutral but this is pretty scary.

Called the POCO and explained the situation - they went to investigate and agreed not to pull the meter (leaving the tenants without heat or power when the temp is 10 degrees), but have contacted the city electrical inspector. He can flag the installation and force the landlord to fix it within a period of days or be fined.

Wrestled with this, but decided the safety of the tenants was paramount.

At least the tenants won’t suffer.

Good for you! That is exactly what should have happened!!

Big one’s, Greg. Big one’s!! :mrgreen:

I want to know who had the balls to put that coat hanger in there??

[quote=“gkeene, post:9, topic:66170”]

Called the POCO and explained the situation - they went to investigate and agreed not to pull the meter (leaving the tenants without heat or power when the temp is 10 degrees), but have contacted the city electrical inspector. He can flag the installation and force the landlord to fix it within a period of days or be fined.QUOTE]

Update! - The POCO called me to update me on this situation. The city flagged the box and forced the landlord/owner to update the service with a permit, new box and inspection. The tenants were not forced out or inconvenienced. Needless to say, according to the POCO, the owner was pissed.

Too bad! - But it got fixed and I feel better.

Update! - The POCO called me to update me on this situation. The city flagged the box and forced the landlord/owner to update the service with a permit, new box and inspection. The tenants were not forced out or inconvenienced. Needless to say, according to the POCO, the owner was pissed.

Too bad! - But it got fixed and I feel better.

They use coat hangers in the Dominican republic up in the mountains to run electricity to their shacks. The government provides the main lines, and it is up to each owner to run his own wires. They will use anything that conducts electricity.

Housing Enforcement Officer. Some of the ones I have dealt with play their little games; They overlook violations for years, and then when they have nothing else to write-up, they nail you on a condition that has existed for 10 years! Is that protecting the public? I think not.

Sometimes the good guys win! Right choice, may have saved a life or two!:smiley: