Fireplace with unusual feature

How about this one? How many things wrong should I write up? Any help appreciated.

There is a propane tank located outside with plumbing traveling up the wall, across the roof, up the chimney, down into the chimney and with a valve inside the fireplace…can you say “hot to hold”?

Thanks for all help in advance.

Bruce

chimney pipe.jpg

fp valve.jpg

This is how the gas logs are fed? or does the propane go to something unrelated to the fireplace?

This is for the gas log appliance.

I have seen everything, unbelieveable.

Time bomb with no direct timer. These people nuts or what.

Throw the book at them, if you know what I mean.
Book-em Dano.

CYA,

Marcel :slight_smile:

four.

OK - this will be fun.

1. improper valve location
  2. improper location of plumbing
  3. no pilot safety
  4. ???

I’m not proud. What’s the fourth? Or do I have the right four?

Oh btw, the damper was only blocked open the dimension of the copper tubing. :smiley:

Not (pic too small) sure but I think I see.

1. soldered fittings used on gas line.

Actually it’s pipe dope. #4 is still open. Anyone?

hint: look at the chimney itself. (keeping in mind the routing of the gas line has already been mentioned)

My apologies. I thought there were just four with the fireplace picture. I had already written up the following on the chimney:

1. Improper spark arrestor material (galvanized chicken wire)
  2. Improper spark arrestor size (not 4 times the area of flue)
  3. No rain cap

Anymore for just the chimney?? I’m sure I missed something.

B

Y’all probably wanna see the spark arrestor. Guaranteed to keep chickens in. Them chicks cain’t get outen yur livin’ room. :smiley:

My apologies to Jeff Foxworthy.

B

spark arrestor.jpg

Bruce,

I am refering to the 45 el and 90 el on the 1/2" copper line at the chimney which appear to be soldered instead of brazed.

Looks even more like soldered fittings in the new pic.

Love the spark arrestor.

I stand corrected. You are correct.

Just like when my wife and I are talking. She is saying one thing; I’m hearing another.

You were looking at one picture; I was looking at the other.:smiley:

Dang it. I hate it when she’s right. But take comfort in the fact that she cannot be right 100% of the time. And I tell her so on a quarterly basis.:wink:

Gas Fired Log Set (LP)

• Defective installation of a gas fired appliance is noted. Recommend fireplace repair with replacements made as needed.
  • Recommend Level 2 Inspection of the Chimney / Fireplace by a CSIA Certified Chimney Contractor prior to closing.

NFPA does not allow gas piping in chimneys.

Marcel :slight_smile:

I mentioned further exam by CSIA person but didn’t mention prior to closing. I’ve not used that term, but I notice that many do.

http://www.csia.org/PressRoom/PressReleases/00PreInstall/tabid/79/Default.aspx

http://www.csia.org/PressRoom/PressReleases/003Levels/tabid/76/Default.aspx

Level 2 Inspection is needed *prior to closing. *

**Level II Inspection: **The addition of a new home heating appliance or a change in the type of fuel a homeowner is burning requires a Level II inspection. This inspection level is also required upon the sale or transfer of a property or after an operating malfunction or external event that is likely to have caused damage to the chimney. The scope of a Level II inspection includes that of the Level I inspection plus the inspection of accessible portions of the attics, crawl spaces and basements. It may also include a performance test such as a smoke test or a pressure test and possibly an interior chimney video inspection if recommended by the certified chimney sweep.

Forgive my naivete (without the dieresis).

Who requires this inspection prior to the sale of the home?

Bruce

To me, it is a recommendation, not a requirement. Some things are better found before spending the big bucks but it is ultimately up to the client. :wink:

…On January 13, 2000, the National Fire Protection Association adopted these levels of inspection into code NFPA 211 (Standard for Chimneys, Fireplaces, Vents and Solid Fuel Burning Appliances). NFPA 211 is the standard upon which certified chimney sweeps base their services…

Adopted Standard for over 7 Years.

A recommendation of anything Less would be Less than Minimum.

Do you disagree?