Gas line into external brick of chimney

Originally Posted By: cmccann
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkPhoto?GUID=5bdd43f4-6f27-6acb-3828-46a8408c7855&size=lg This is a photo of a hard yellow flex line for a gas fireplace. I have issues on safety and installation, is there any reference for this being wrong. I’m reviewing code check now. Also writing report now. The electrical you see is a run for a hot tub that does not exist anymore. Thanks

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Chuck,

Since I am not a code inspector, how about just commenting on the poor installation. Your concerns for the safety of the occupants, since the gas line is laying on the ground, unprotected and unsecured from accidental or coincidental damage.

While I am not sure what the gas line is crossing over, I would also add a comment about that, espeically if they are electric cables.

I don't really see anything wrong with it extending through the chimney to feed the fireplace, given it would be allowed according to the manufacturers installation instructions.

Joe Myers

Thanks Joe. icon_lol.gif

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Piping shall not be installed in all through a circulating vent, clothes shute, chimney or gas vent, ventilating duct, dumbwaiter or elevator shaft.

Aboveground piping outdoors. Piping installed above ground outdoors shall be securely supported and located where it's a will be protected from physical damage. Where passing through an outside wall, the piping shall also be protected against corrosion . Where piping is encased in protective pipe sleeve, the annulus space between the gas piping and the sleeve shall be sealed.

So as you can see the installation that you showing your picture is completely improper on several counts.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Gerry,

The gas tube does not pass through(one side to the other) the chimney, but where you see the entrance is where the actual valve would be located. As far as being secure and safe that is another issue, and I have addressed that. I would like to get a little more clarification on the "through" portion of the code. Thanks for your help Gerry.

--
NACHI MAB!