First Post, Two Questions (Window Drip Cap, Deck Ledgerboard Bottom Flashing)

Take those Samples with a huge grain of salt!
While some of them may be legit, most are “made up” for the sake of posting on a website, and are mostly BS.
What’s really discouraging about them, is how absolutely and ridiculously BAD they are! Those inspectors likely have no clue how bad they are, which is a testament to their abilities or lack of them!
Advice: If and when you decide to place one on your own website, share it on this MB for a Peer Review first. Trust me, we will “guide you” through your mistakes so you can improve it before embarassing yourself in front of the world, where it will remain on the internet… forever!!

2 Likes

If they cut into siding materials to get to the band joist and the top of those siding materials are exposed under the deck, then you need Z flashing underneath the ledger board to help protect the siding. If the siding material is not vulnerable underneath (e.g. foundation wall, stucco, etc.) then a “Z” flashing underneath serves no purpose. Generally, peel and stick bituminous membrane (which most everyone knows as “FortiFlash” in the stores) is what a code inspector would want to see, being much more durable than tar paper. If you see tar paper, then I would suspect that the builder was not a professional and look for other issues.

2 Likes

:rofl: Point well taken, Jeff. At this point honestly I use them as a guide for how to organize my template rather than the actual content of the reports. I have a lot of trades experts in my life, and I do trust you guys and your experiences if I’m in doubt. When it comes to actual conditions, I know who to call, you included.

2 Likes

Thanks Brian

This is what I use as a guide and consider it best practice.
(IRC 2018 with GA amendments)

2 Likes

Thanks for chipping in Brian. That’s what I look for, but rarely do I actually see back/bottom flashing…

1 Like

Same here, seldom seen. For me, the “behind the ledger” flashing may not make it into my report if the deck is good overall. However, if other concerns are observed it will be lumped in.

Now, the flashing over the top of the ledger is a different story…I always call that out if it is missing or defective.

1 Like

Yeah if the deck is going to fall down mentioning the missing flashing isn’t going to kill the deal…

^ Work of art. :innocent:

Let’s not forget the front steps while we’re admiring the grounds…

2 Likes