First time seeing EIFS ... need advice

Barry, is it possible it could be something of this nature?

http://www.vefoinc.com/installation.html

http://www.vefoinc.com/foamexterior.html:)

Good info regarding installation of foam:

VEFO - Installation

http://www.vefoinc.com/installation.jpg

Many foam projects are being coated with one of the numerous synthetic Exterior Insulation and finish systems being marketed today, such as those manufactured by Sto®, Dryvit®, Senergy®, Omega®, etc.*
The foam is attached to the brown coat using the synthetic wall system base coat material as an adhesive, and allowed to dry for 24 hours. After drying, the same base coat material is troweled directly onto the foam shape, with a fiberglass mesh embedded into the base coat for improved physical integrity and durability.
Allow at least 2" of extra mesh around the edges to attach above and below the foam shape. Again, let dry for 24 hours. The stucco finish coat is then applied to the entire wall and foam shape as usual.
Rather than applying a standard stucco finish coat to the foam shape after it has been primed with the mesh and synthetic base coat, the final step can be completed with application of a synthetic stucco/ color coat. (Other finishes can also be obtained through the use of paint, Portland cement, etc. over the base coat.)
Use of a synthetic base coat is ideal for shapes with fine details, as the coating thickness is approximately 1/4" or less, allowing the plaster to easily retain the design.
*Other material suppliers include LA HABRA, OMEGA AND MERLEX
Here at VEFO, Inc., we are frequently asked how to install and finish VEFOAM® architectural shapes. The above information has been compiled to detail the most commonly used method of foam installation and finishing and is a method which has proven to be very successful. It is important to remember that VEFOAM® cut foam provides the shape itself, but the impact resistance and durability comes from the coating materials applied to it. It is also important to remember that foam shapes are designed to be decorative and are not meant to be load-bearing nor to support human weight.

not based on the eifs base for the column pedestal in OP pix

although your links are spot-on for eifs/foam/molded trims commonly seen attached directly on top of residential and commercial 1, 2 or 3-coat cement stucco systems

Correct

I would vouch for that being a foam “trim piece” rather than EIFS. They are very common here in California especially on tract homes. It’s just foam detail with stucco sprayed on it. A Stucco contractor installs them and they are damaged very easily. They can be repaired with a little DYI experience and some parts from Homey D.

seems we’re mincing word(s) with our left coast friends…gotta love the land of fruits and nuts, twas a great place to grow up ;~))

all cementitious (Nick’s word of the week) coatings are not or do not meet the requirement to be classified as stucco as de/prescribed in code and other industry references

all foam decorations/trims are usually constructed with EIFS components and do not use the same wire mesh or thicker cementitious materials that stucco requires

bottom line is the gash in the OP trim isn’t comparable to the leaker on the Titanic report and move on

the industry required underlying WRB will perform as intended water/weather barrier if it was ever or correctly installed, nbd

So what is Charles saying? All the stucco on the building is foam trim, or just the the ledges above veneer and the rest of the building is stucco.

The buildings main portions are traditional hard coat stucco and the part in the OP picture is foam trim

Okay, thanks!

The trim still should have a slope on top to shed the water, right?

Charles -

As a stucco person myself, you have indicated by your commentary you don’t really know what you’re looking at, so rather than trying to provide a repair solution that can get your titt in a wringer and sued try one of these:

1. Damage was noted at XXXXX. We recommend having a competent stucco contractor for repair and a moisture analysis of the Stucco System. This will determine if moisture intrusion has occurred and if all of the necessary architectural details are present.

2. Determining if the stucco application and underlying conditions are proper, cannot be determined by a visual inspection alone. This is beyond the scope of the inspection we are now performing. Even the type of system may be hard to identify due to builders and siding applicators using “custom” techniques. In some cases stucco systems may allow moisture to penetrate the exterior and become trapped, creating latent problems. An adequate stucco application cannot be verified by a visual inspection. We recommend that you consult a competent certified stucco contractor to repair the stucco; determine if the architectural details are correct; and test for the possibility of moisture intrusion.

3) Note: You have stucco or EIFS type areas on the exterior of the home. If installed properly with the proper architectural details, this is a sturdy material. If however, proper architectural details or flashings, etc are absent, installed incorrectly, or features (such as joints, flashings, etc.) are sealed incorrectly, or if there are cracks or gaps in the stucco or at wall penetrations like windows or trim, etc it can create conditions that are conducive to moisture intrusion inside the wall cavities. If this happens, moisture has the potential to be trapped on the walls interior cavities, and cause hidden damages, mold or other long term problems.
To determine the full condition of this type of stucco system would require moisture probing and intrusive testing of wall cavities, etc. This type of inspection CAN NOT be done by a visual examination alone, and is beyond the scope of the visual home inspection process we are now performing. We **DID NOT **not perform any moisture probing or intrusive testing of the wall cavities. We recommend further testing and moisture analysis of the Stucco System by a qualified and competent contractor.

In the past month I’ve gone out to do EIFS inspections on homes where its simply stucco over plywood implants on the trim. OR gone out to do an inspection on the stucco for a relo and discovered its fiberous siding textured to look like stucco. I was out there because the home inspector explained about moisture issues with EIFS and told how to repair crap that was NOT even EIFS … Dumb, Dumb, Dumb. Just tell them it is damaged, needs repairs and move on …

Most stucco has the same type moisture problems as EIFS except for foam issues. So DO NOT downplay issues just because its real stucco

Thanks everybody for the feedback…I got a good education
and great verbiage that I will save for my report.

David

Hmmm…funny that is what I suggested, you sure you put the correct name on your post? Refer to post #11

As Chuck said… there are HCCS systems with plant-on foam trim all-the-time here in CA.

There are also EIFS systems as well… you will need to know how to discern both… or then again just have your check book ready either way

Discrediting someone because they “sell something” is utter BS, BTW.

Sure looks like a typical planton to me. Don’t look at trim pieces to determine if the stucco is cement based or an EIFS system. Traditional stucco is commonly fitted with foam filled planton trims.

It should be called out as a defect and recommend repair, but I would not refer to it as EIFS unless the walls themselves are are covered with a syntethic EIFS system.

Incorrectly labeling a house as EIFS could get expensive!

Forget that you and Charles may be friends…

Do you automatically take as gospel the word of: 1) someone you don’t know, 2) someone who’s profile shows they’ve been a member for less than a year, 3) their profile website shows they are a forms saleman, 4) there is no information to indicate that they are an inspector, or 5) someone that does not indicate in any way, shape or form that thay have any knowledge of the construction industry? I know I don’t. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, I did a cursory look for who and what knowledge he may have. I found squat! My concern is that he is not knowledgeable and the MANY newer inspectors out there get bad advice. Everyone can overcome a WH gone bad, but not many could survive a home with bad EIFS! Due diligence is the name of the game in this industry.

For the newer inspectors that aren’t aware of who Barry is, he is a long-time member, very seasoned inspector. He is one of the most knowledgeable and helpful members in this association. Quite often he will assist someone directly through the PM system, or email, without ever showing his face on this MB. So as an FIY, you can trust him to give you factual information as he sees it from his extensive experience.

There… I’m done. Sheesh!

Actually, I don’t take as gospel much of anything… but I know what you mean.

My response was based on the fact that Chuck’s response was/is correct. That looks like a Hard Coat system… and plant-on trim is in fact very common here

and

If we are to discredit those who “sell stuff” (directly or through the constant barrage of BUY THIS IT’S THE BEST kind of crud) many here would have very little “credit”… would you agree?

Chuck’s response had merit, as you can find in later discussion or research. I do realize what you are saying Jeff, I wonder who many see what I’m saying?