FL. WDO in report reply.

My question the the Dept of Ag.
As a Florida licensed home inspector if I see live termites and evidence of such as subterranean mud tubes and include such finding in my report to my client would I be in any violation.
When I find evidence of WDO’s I always recommend a licensed pest control contractor evaluate further.

Here is an example that maybe see in my report.

“Evidence of wood destroying insects was noted… i.e. Subterranean termite mud tubes. Live organisms was noted at the time of inspection. Recommend a licensed pest control contractor evaluate further.”

Would I be in any sort of violation as a Florida licensed home inspector with the above statement in my report?

Thanks
Roy Lewis

Their reply…

Dear Mr. Lewis:
Thank you for your inquiry. As long as you are not advertising WDO inspections as being part of your service and collecting fees for a WDO report, you are in compliance with Chapter 482 Florida Statutes. The way you are handling your WDO observations in the report is acceptable, and further recommending that the homeowner contact a licensed pest control company for evaluation is a good practice also.

Sincerely,

Marlene Czerniak
Assistant Chief/Environmental Administrator
Division of Agricultural Environmental Services
Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

(850) 617-7996
(850) 617-7981 Fax
(850) 528-5357 Cell

Marlene.Czerniak@FreshFromFlorida.com

NOW WE KNOW!

Thanks for this Roy. I also think this is a correct way of handling it.

Now, where did the notion that we weren’t as home inspectors even allowed to mention the words wdi or wdo as part of our reporting come from anyways?

Bert

From another thread…
Not WDO but termite and the such.
Read this…
http://www.nachi.org/forum/f79/wdo-inspections-96080/

Nice work Roy! Common sense prevails for once!

Yes, thanks Roy. I read the other thread. I think common sense should be the norm. Unfortunately it isn’t at times.

Bert

Whatever the the Assistant Chief/Environmental Administrator says should be acknowledged as the fact.

Thanks Roy, makes sense now. :smiley:

Thanks for the update Roy, but Ben G. has a statement from the Dept. that says exactly the opposite about identifying WDO in your HI report. I’ve seen it but can’t find it here.

Good job Roy!

Thanks

Hey floridians,

Can someone explain the florida WDO certification situation to me? It seems that most of you sub the WDO inspections out.

In Indiana I’m certified and charge an extra $50 for the services. I’m assuming the certification process is more complicated in Florida?

Yeah the pest control guys had their s h i t together at the right time. I do not THINK being a Vet will help you on this one :frowning:

Thanks for your service :slight_smile:

Mike,

good talking to you let me know if you need anything else.

Haha, thanks

Yes, thanks for the call John

What are you talkin’ about?

Among other, been a licensed “pest control guy” for over 30 years & have taught re-certification law…
Just more mis-information spouting out there.

Great job with the letter Roy. Good stuff.

Thanks