Flashed for weep holes, but no weep holes

View from crawl space. Taking a vote. Big deal or no big deal. House age: 14 years old.

I’ll tell you what I said a little later on.

Yes, you may count this test toward your NACHI required continuing education. :wink:

091509 130.JPG 091509 001.JPG

091509 001.JPG

Any building constructed since 1970 should have rubber, plastic or metallic “flashing,” a protective skirt that curves around joints to protect against moisture. When water does get through a wall, it collects on the flashing and is released through “weep holes,” small openings in the masonry. These holes are most obvious at the top of the foundation wall.
3/16-inch-diameter weep holes every 33 inches at minimum, just above the flashing . Flashing, in turn, is recommended under the first course of masonry at ground level, above windows and doors, below window sills, and at any lintels and shelf angles

As a non-voting contributor, I hereby cast my non-vote in favor of “It’s a BIG DEAL!” for the reasons so carefully described by Mr. Elliott. To his description I would only add that flashings over openings should be formed with end dams to direct water out through the weeps, and not laterally into the wall beyond.

True.

I need to edit that in.

This is what I said:

“No weep holes were apparent in the masonry veneer siding. Today’s commonly accepted construction standards require weep holes (not less than 3/16” in diameter) every 33 inches. Flashing is required to direct water toward the weep holes. However, installation of weep holes after construction may cause more damage than benefit (if the flashing is not present it may be inconsequential and if the flashing is present, it may be damaged by drilling into the mortar). Usually when weep holes are absent, so is the flashing and any water can effectively drain into the crawl space. However, this home had flashing that lapped into the brick wall from inside the crawl spade. Because there were no visible weep holes, the presence of the flashing traps moisture behind the wall and prohibits any drainage. We consider the presence of flashing, and the lack of weep holes to be a serious structural defect. Damage may be present behind the walls that was not visible to us and you should consider an infrared thermal scan of the wall to confirm no moisture damage is present (we can assist you with selecting someone to perform a thermal scan). We observed no moisture damage to the visible wall and floor framing from inside the crawl space. You should consult with a licensed and competent general contractor about this construction defect, its consequences, and the options (if any) for correction. A guidance document is attached at the end of this report for your information."

Besides, the flashing shoulkd go over the ledger board.

Hope this helps;

I just had one with missing mortar joints Rather than weep holes and no flashing behind.
Any opinions?

1967 construction and a ranch style with crawl. Veneer at front only.

I think you’re saying that they left out vertical mortar joints about every 3 feet. That’s common. No flashing is not correct by today’s standards but I don’t think weep holes were required in '67. I’d just state that the weeps are not installed according to today’s standards but that you saw no water damage resulting from it.

You have a lot of brick foundations in your area, Joe? How do they keep the water from leaking through the brick mortar into the crawlspace?

About 50% are pier and curtain wall crawl spaces foundations. The other 50% are slabs. About 2% are basements. Do the math on that :wink:

If the grade doesn’t slope away from the house on all 4 sides, there is often water intrusion. And with that, there is often a high moisture content in the wood structures, mold, rot, termites, etc. I like a crawl space. It’s easy to run cables, fix and modify plumbing, etc. BUT, the lot grade has to be right.

120 views of this post. 8 votes. Thank you to the 8.

Joe it may be showing a need for more education in this area or the that areas of the country do not have much brick.
Perhaps this post serves as more of an educational than a poll.

I agree with you Bob, understanding the need for weep holes and there absence is an education in itself.

Not all parts of the Country have brick veneers and a long time ago when the wall systems were solid bearing masonry, weep holes were not used.

Only when the brick veneer system came in that the building science prooved that it was necessary to provide drainage of the rain shield designs.

So if you see a wall construction of brick veneer with no weepholes, it is a defect in performance of the design. :):smiley:

Not all that different from any other siding and that may be where guys would have a jump in thinking Marcel.

It is just siding (heavy as hell) but still siding.

Voted…

Agree with others posted above…

Did you report on the spider in pic #1 ???

;-):smiley:

Never would have even noticed that daddy long legs.
Now how about that twisted and hanging floor joist on the left.?

Where??? :shock:

(Can’t remember the technical term)… all I see is a floor joist where the bottom right corner split off at the diagonal grain. :wink:

Maybe your glasses need cleaning, Bob? :cool:

That is not twisted or split, the wain has just come off the edge of the lumber.
You can’t buy square edge lumber anymore, the trees are to small. :):wink:

Yeah, that’s it… what Marcel said!!! :smiley:

Bothers me more than the spider.

Ok OK you can"t see from that angle darnit.