Flashing needed?

Hey guys, this was a new construction final phase inspection.
Should there be flashing between the stucco and the hardieplank as there between the cement board and the hardieplank?

From what I understand, it depends on what type of stucco it is.

It looks like the top has a slant to prevent standing water…do you have any close ups?

On a side note…joints need to be caulked and typically cementitous boards should not be sitting directly on the flashing… there should be about a 1/4" gap between the flashing and cementitous board.

Jeff

I prefer flashing instead of caulk which eventually fails, and as Jeff mentioned, a 1/4" gap between the siding and the flashing above.

If it’s new construction, the plans should have the required wall cut-outs and flashing details.

Also, any time you have two dissimilar materials there should be either flashing or an approved caulking…flashing is always perferred since we all know that caulking last for 1 year if that (I speak as to the two adhesion points).

I am curious…is that actually hardiplank or is it Miratek…(or equivolent)?

Rarely do you find installers correctly applying either product in accordance with manufacturers specs.

Either way, the main problem I see is really the gapping…failing to properly gap the trimboard will result in deterioration of the edges over time, much like Masonite.

Hope that helps…

Jeff

Thanks for the input guys!
Jeff: I said it was Hardi because the rest of the 2nd/3rd floor was hardi, but it could have been Miratek. In any case, it would be wiser to have flashing any time there is 2 dissimilar materials as you stated.
Reece: It was a new construction, final phase. No plans onsite, but it would have been nice.
This is how I wrote it up: “It appeared the flashing was missing on the North side of the house at the hardiePlank/Stucco connection. I recommend ensuring the contractor’s installation was according to engineer’s plans.”