Flashing next to the siding?

Should there be flashing between the shingles and the siding?
Thanks!

6 Likes

My ‘Rule-o-Thumb’… When in doubt, call it out.
There almost always should be flashing, more than most contractors will ever admit!!

5 Likes

Most definitely!! And, without trying to be a message board bully… you SHOULD know this. There is no way to reliably waterproof a junction between those two materials without metal step flashing on each course of shingles. You have a siding to roof clearance issue there that I’d definitely call out. While inspecting I’d slide my flat blade screwdriver in the joint and expect to hear/feel the flashing with each course of shingles.

5 Likes

Should be flashing at all the arrows. Did I miss any?

Edit: Drip edge may be needed. Window cap flashing may be needed depending on window type. I cannot make it out in the photo.

4 Likes

On top of windows.

1 Like

Of course…sometimes it’s hard to tell if it’s done right. Roofers will put the step flashing under each shingle…so it’s hidden from view…if the shingles are old then it might be glued together in such a way that you don’t feel comfortable lifting a shingle up to see if it’s there. If they had kept the siding up about an inch off the roof like they should have… of course you’d be able to see it. That downspout exiting on the roof shingles is not a good idea…

5 Likes

Better than this… LOL.
IMG_7498

3 Likes

yep…that’ll be a problem…

Yeah, it was new construction at the end of the summer… I’m pretty sure it hadn’t rained since the roof was put on.

2 Likes