Flashing @ Parapet

That baby needs a cap all the way across it!

imo

small pic for me, but what is that wavy tan material on the flat roof below.

Torch-Down Roll …Bob.

Here whether residential or commercial, very seldom do they put a cap flashing on stucco parapet walls, that cost money, so obviously it’s not installed—:twisted:

That is beyond crazy…simply unreal—:twisted:

So what do they do?
Just put up the EPDM and wrap it around to the front with a term bar or what?

Ha, they could probably withstand 2 tubes. :mrgreen:

I’m no pro by any means, but you would think that would be common sense to have sheet material on that surface.

There is a side-wall flashing at the bottom of the parapet, the roll roofing material stops under the flashing, you cannot see the flashing in this distant picture, but that is how they install most residential and commercial low-sloped roof systems where there is a cement stucco parapet wall.

Generally the roof material is cut short, in a few years the roofing material slides below the side-wall flashing’s (from roof material shrinkage) and water begins to come in there also.

Top of the stucco parapets look like this at 95% of all residential here.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i247/badstucco1/Parapet4.jpg

The “cheap metal covering” is called a coping, and they range in quality from really cheap sheet metal to fully engineered, and expensive, extruded aluminum enameled or anodized coping systems. Or, in southwestern style, clay copings are used, which are essentially halves of clay pipes.

In the pictured instance, a flashing should extend from well under the shingle roof, and out under a coping, with a full bed of non-hardening sealant, which will allow movement from expansion and contraction.

Who is a Pro? :mrgreen:

It’s tha Arizona Adobe look, you don’t spoil that with a stinking flashing.

In Chicago that kinda flashing on a Condo is called lawsuit.