Flir one and home depot

Save your money and take the course from a reputable IR training institution!

Nothing against John, but who cares if he changes his mind? It shouldn’t change yours.

Never said it did. I just find it interesting how John has bashed these devices as useless for nothing more than a paperweight, and bash those who buy them or consider buying them, for so long and is now giving Kudos for using it. He must not be feeling well?:roll:

In post #9, Mr Misegrades, shows some photos of how a lower resolution camera found moisture in one area, but not in the another. I have been posting this same photo for months now (thanks for Mr Misegrades). I have always said that this is the case and this is what makes the cheaper camera’s so dangerous to the novice.

I give Kudos where they are due. If someone is learning then I want to encourage them to keep on trying. My desire is to help those who are seeking understanding. Cheap IR cameras will sometimes find the easy to see items, but will not find the more hidden defects, which can get you into trouble. This advice is balanced and fair. I have never changed my opinion on this. The cheap infrared cameras are junk because they can find the easy stuff, but fail to see the hidden defects, which are many.

I have had many who were offended that I told them the truth and then have come back later to thank me for telling them what they did not want to hear. Those who started out buying a junk camera are learning a hard lesson and it takes a humble and honest heart to admit it. Kudos to them.

I didn’t mean “yours”, and I don’t really follow John.

As far a Home Inspection Thermal goes, I have a hard time swallowing what my 320x240 cameras produce sometimes. But there is a place for these “Junk” cameras. It’s just extremely important that you understand your limitations. Basically you have to be a Lvl III Thermographer to use the junk with any reliability. But for only certain applications.

The problem is untrained people think they can climb on the wagon train with this stuff and BS their clients into believing they can do stuff that they can’t. They likely don’t do this on purpose, they just have no clue.

It’s like talking to a wall with some of these people.
John (and others) have spelled it out (in pictures) that these things don’t work for what we need to know. But these same conversations continue.

No matter how many times they ask. No matter how many angles they try to look at it. No! It doesn’t work with Home Inspections.

On the other hand, I would be more inclined to use that junk in a nuclear power plant than someone’s house…

David,

John has a reading comprehension problem. The discussion about the use of the CAT S60 was never about using it for thermal imaging. I have no need for one for that purpose. If you would like examples of this, and have a little time to waste, read this thread.

BTW John has trashed the CAT S60 and does not even have any specifications on it to know what it may or may not be capable of! My use had nothing to do with thermal imaging at all!

The thread is about the camera and the app. Read the first post. It is an IR camera/phone and the topic is posted in the thermal imaging section. You share your opinion and I will share mine.

Which thread John, the one where you displayed a reading comprehension problem or some other thread? :roll:

Thank you very much William!

I can have a better idea when I look at the image above (With Testo), the difference between Testo and FLIR ONE is obvious. For the image below, I did see this before, but the problem is that one picture is with lamp and the other does not, so that may not be good for comparsion.

It is very good to have more photoes comparing. If the customers can see the difference, and they can choose the wise choice. Actually, I am not a home inspector, but if I need home inspection service. and a professional inspector can show me the difference by clear images comparing, I do not mind to pay more for a nice job. (But I live in Hong Kong, cannot really buy this service, haha :mrgreen:)

That is just the angle of view between cameras. At that distance it does not matter that much.

I could give a rats butt what the customers see. It’s what “I” see that matters. Can’t see it, you can’t evaluate it.

What I think is better to have more images for comparasion, just like this

Image Resolution Comparison: FLIR® Ex-Series Infrared Cameras

From the images, I can easily understand why higher resolution is better. Now, I think most of the argument, debate, had better to discuss with images. Given in the same situation, one use professional IR camera and the other use smartphone, then we can see the difference. I just feel more images to be presented in this way is better.
Just my 2 cent opinion

This would be great to do in a lab environment. I just provided you with a different images of the same area in a real environment, with real conditions, with real deficiencies that were observable with a tool and not the other gadget. I looked at my phone archives and found that I actually had a two FLIR One images of the same area. The second image doesn’t have as much of the lamp in it as the first one. However, you will notice that the it still does not capture the ceiling leaks in the background.
I don’t think anybody is debating that the phone IR cams can give results, what we are saying is the potential danger of one using a FLIR One, C2 etc… in a building envelop where deltas will be very small and chances of missing something are greater.

IMG_6284.JPG

IMG_6285.JPG

Did you notice what FLIR uses for the Flir-One…a comic book ad.:mrgreen:

Well boys and girls, for those that think we think “bigger is better”, I have 3 thermal cameras. I have said many times, every camera has its purpose. I do not use a 640x480 camera on every project. Sometimes “Too much detail is too much”!

But if all you comparison shoppers will turn off the MSX you won’t have a clue what your looking at in those scans. I have used a Flir One and a 640x480 T660 at a Flir convention (in front of the sales rep) where even the rep couldn’t identify an air duct leak in the ceiling with the Flir One.

Her Answer: “That’s not what that camera is for…”.

I did that 3-4 weeks ago at a conference and the rep asked me why I would turn the MSX off and couldn’t understand why…

Very interesting… and worrisome!

Thanks for the post Peter. Not doing ir with little need for advanced training but this thing at $250 for use as a advanced thermometer and way to see radiant heating in floors or ceilings is a steal. Ordering it tonight.

You’ll love it Bob.
Great software.

You’re in for it now Bob! Seems the God of IR has declared its only valid use is as a paperweight and you’re saying otherwise. Get ready for the big speech on how you need all kinds of training (the God of IR’s of course) and a much better imager to use for a spot radiometer (IR Thermometer) function since this just simply can’t be used for that (according to the God of IR of course)! :wink:

Thanks a lot,it is better to have images without lamp for comparing.

By the way,what is the version of this FLIR ONE?160X120 RESOLUTION OR 80X60?