Flir one and home depot

160x120

Regarding resolution…

The FLIR ONE 160x120 resolution is not same image quality as the FLIR E6.

Different optics, detectors and processor. I compared the two side by side.
Even the sales person said you cannot compare the two. Just sayin.

Resolution no longer means what it used to. Man made materials have been
mixed into the optics, the detectors can be high or low quality now, and the
processors vary. If your camera cannot see hidden defects, you can be blind
and not know it.

I am not bashing anyone and my comments are on subject posted. How you
use the FLIR ONE is up to you.

Thank you John.I think you are quite right that resolution no longer means whatit used to.So…the whole issue becomes complicated

My main moisture meter died on me I picked up a Flir One to use see radiators/registers but I think I’ll see how it holds up in that capacity too. I’ll update after a week or two

Mine arrives by end of the month.Did not see extension cable option a reviewer on the HD site mentioned so need to look at FLIR to order one I guess.

Should come in handy as a moisture meter extension .

It never did mean anything.
It just happened that higher res went along with greater sensitivity, spacial resolution etc.

Yesterday camera makers tried to make the best camera they could reguardless of the money. Today they want to make any camera for money. Just to get people using them (and realizing they can’t do what they expected, they end up with two cameras).

Home Inspectors should know better! We were the 2nd biggest group of IR users in the civilian market and have been using it the longest, with more applications.

A taxi driver does not purchase a car that will not stand up to the job intended just because there are cheaper cars out there. You can’t put many people and things in a Smart Car and it doesn’t go too far during a 12 hour shift…

People who make these cameras live in countries where they haul more on a bicycle than we can haul in a 3/4 ton truck! They don’t have the same perspective. And we can’t drive overloaded trucks on the road.

We use cameras that you can’t freely take out of the country. There is a market for this junk, but it isn’t here. Wake up Home Inspectors.

In days gone by, resolution referred to the clarity of imagery produced by a thermal imaging system. Similar to television sets and monitor screens, there was no way to empirically measure imager resolution.

In 2008, one manufacturer began offering detector pixel count as a measure of optical resolution of its thermal imagers. Almost immediately, other manufacturers followed suit resulting in a modern day fallacy where nearly everyone uses pixel count to describe imager resolution.

Although resolution generally increases with the number of pixels, there are several other factors that influence image clarity or resolution. These include, but are not limited to, pixel viewing angle, imager optics, signal-to-noise ratio and the imager’s display screen.

Similar to televisions and computer monitors, imager resolution can only be gauged through subjective human evaluation. When evaluating an imager for resolution, one should physically try the imager under actual working conditions. Imagers that produce clear images should be sufficient to the task regardless of pixel count.

The topic of imager resolution was the subject of a recent Tip of the Week at our content-based website, IRINFO.ORG. Titled Imager Resolution & the Great Pixel Debate, this Tip and hundreds of others like it may be accessed for free.

Hope this helps.

I think the SOP of Infraspection is a great reference too. :smiley:

My Flir one came 2 hours ago and is great right out of the box.
Been posting pictures on FB to avoid all the goofballs here .

I am shocked by how well it works and all the settings.

https://goo.gl/photos/NkTGswHMDCu5gdSy5

Google Photos

I don’t see any sheetrock nails, I can barely see the studs.

Try turning off the MSX and see what you can figure out.

Then backup 50 feet.

Does someone want the truth or to hear how nice the images are?

Back up 50 feet in a small living room.You want me to use a sledge hammer ?

Here come the guys thinking only $20,000 cameras and training can see water comments …lol

Why in the hell do I need to see sheet rock nails ?
Gee I can not see the termites either …guess I will throw it out .:wink:

Exactly why I do not post here much anymore .

I’ve been seeing this as well, there are HI’s using clip on add on devices and advertising as using Thermal Imaging / Infrared during inspections… is what it is I guess, let the buyer beware.

Well I’m shocked that your shocked!

So seeing I don’t think much of your “cool” images, your going to discount my opinion because of my $20,000 camera?

I was working at Emory University this week and those poor kids require “Emergency Counseling” because someone wrote TRUMP 2016 with chock on the concrete! I sure hope you won’t need medical treatment because I don’t agree about the quality of your pretty pictures…

You can’t face the truth so you revert to Democratic strategy and tear me down? That ain’t going to work buddy.
I have a one night, $12,000 Thermal Job next week. Think you can keep up with that new toy of yours?
Less than two jobs and my camera is paid for…
Half of a condo inspection paid for yours.

It’s been really nice here too - Thank you. Keep at it.

I think this sums it up.

https://youtu.be/qQGgaI-BcI4:roll:

That is funny. Thanks.

Think of it this way Bob if you can’t see the nails /screws which will have a temperature difference as compared to the wall itself and is only 1/16" or less under the mud then what else are you not seeing.

Ahh, Condo Bob don’t care about that stuff. All those fancy condo lofts are industrial brick and metal. No drywall for them!