Floor Receptacles- Good To Know

Hey Guys,

I had a NACH inspector call me Friday and I can’t for the life of me remember who it was…but I always love the calls and helping answer the electrical questions…:slight_smile:

The question was in regards to Floor Receptacles…and here are TWO views on the them to keep in mind.

CODE VIEW: Any floor receptacle within 18 inches of the wall COUNTS the same as a wall outlet…BUT it must be the proper kind of floor outlet and not a standard duplex receptacle. IE: Art 210.52(A)(3)

BUT here is the safety part you need to take into account…

A.) If you run accross standard Duplex Receptacles in the floor area keep in mind that moisture, CAT URINE, dust and so on can get into the unit and cause problems…

Service Call- I went to an old house to fix a problem, the fuses would keep blowing so the homeowner called me out.

I got to the job…when to the panel to check the fuses and saw a 30A screwed into a MAX 15A socket…on 14 AWG wire…first problem right…

Then checking the circuit she told me the floor receptacle behind the TV usually sparks when she places a plug into it…so I looked at this plug…a starndard duplex receptacle on a carpet floor…no cover plate…corroded and SMELLED like cat pee…so I asked her…You got cats…she said yes…20 of them…

Guess what…the CATS and DOGS were peeing into the floor receptacle, causing corrosion which in turn caused a fault that when dry was fine but when coated with PEE shorted out the breaker…so to solve that they just kept upping the fuses…seems the SHORT was not bad enough to trip it right away…anyway the BOX was charcoaled, The floor around it was BURNT and the wires…well…have seen better days…

So in short…fixed the panel, installed the RIGHT type of floor receptacle LISTED for the application and possibly SAVED the house from burning down…

Point is…If you see FLOOR receptacles in homes…Dont get into CODE…BUT if they are standard duplex style and not TRUE listed FLOOR receptacles…call them out…They can be a potential serious hazard.

Examples of PROPER floor receptacles

[(http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:23gDPe9bgC20MM:images.orgill.com/200x200/4907325.JPG)

Also attached is a nice article on the need for possible receptacle placement changes in the future to clarify some areas in the new 2005 NEC…as always 2008 NEC is sure to correct the oversights of the past.

Download and Enjoy !](“http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:XMR4ZvyDka5KjM:cache.smarthome.com/images/856315.jpg”)

called this one out last month.

jsw_p1240087.jpg

Paul , also all floor outlet grounds have to face either north, or west…

lol…I hear ya Ben…Maybe you are even more ANAL than me…lol

called this one out about a month ago also as not a proper outlet and cover for location on a floor(don’t remember exact wording,without looking it up, but something to that effect)

50976MCG 036.jpg

GREAT call Michael…A fire hazard waiting to happen…

Have you GUYS ever thought of the THOUSANDS of lives you guys probably save a year…Great JOB !

anyone else have FLOOR receptacle issues…How about you BRIAN…:slight_smile: