Florida Coalition update?

I doubt that the DBPR will even release this silly thing. But if they do… I’ll have a field day with it! It’s a goldmine.

Some ASHI guys like Mark Cramer left for the same reason.

Mark and I agree on most things, good fella despite being ASHI. Anyway, I had a discussion with the DBPR, then a lengthy phone conversation with Michael. Michael is in agreement with the changes we want and will be making them before submitting his draft.

Does anyone have any information from the “Coalition” as to what they are working on to correct or improve the details of the home inspector licensing law? Is there a list of objectives or legislative agenda that any member of the Coalition would be willing to share?

The FHIC is like that commercial - where the husbands Bar B Que grill blows up and the wife misses it because she’s so impressed with her new window shades.

Look through this thread, it should bring you up to speed

LMAO…I didn’t read this…Thanks Dennis…

Would have been helpful about two hours ago – round and round we go

Didnt Mike and Inspection Depot have a problem with the first round of Wind Mitigation Inspections?

What was that about, and shouldnt folks be writing or visiting their state representatives about having this person serve in ANY CAPACITY?

I heard that the first 2200 reinspections that were performed had too many errors so they stopped the program until Inspection Depot could give training. I went to this so called training - most of the people there didn’t have a clue how to do a wind mit IMHO

I doubt that they will ever have a qualified inspection performed as long as the fee is around $50.

Look at all of the requirements they have to work for them and then they pay peanuts. There are too many people looking for a slice of the pie before it gets to the one performing the work.

Michael is the go to guy for the DBPR.

Joe,

The thing is it is virtually impossible to attract professionally trained home inspectors to perform the re-inspections due tho the paltry price offered to the inspector.

I imagine the training costs are overwhelming with folks being trained and then leaving once they realize that it is impossible to make money. An employer’s nightmare for sure with a revolving door of fresh untrained faces seeking the pot at the end of the rainbow.

Great picture - I don’t think the training cost are overwhelming - 70 people crammed into a small room listening to one person walk through form 1802 with a few pointers. They should make Yorks class (or a similar class) a prerequisite for reinspections. That might set the presidence a little higher

Training cost become overwhelming when they never end… I’m sure that in the beginning Michael’s plan was to train up a workforce and complete the project with that same workforce. I’ll bet that most inspectors who have been attracted by this offer will throw in the towel in less than two weeks if the price per inspection remains at $50. Who knows maybe contractors will be willing to take less.

That is a reasonable prediction.

Bill York’s class will surely provide insight into how to properly do a wind mitigation inspection and complete the form. It should also open eyes to the work that is involved to properly complete a wind mit inspection. It will not improve the pricing structure that we appear to be stuck with. Until we all band together (Solidarity) and refuse to do them for the fees currently being offered, nothing will change. The $50 guys will always be there and the lack of professionalism will likely remain with the $50 guys. For now, I am choosing not to participate for those fees.

It has been a couple of years now but myself and other local HI were invited and went to a Depot training / seminar/presentation (one day thing) and when it got to the very end and everyone found out the fee was set for $50 plus all the other requirements placed on the contract inspector there were no takers. There was an outlay for the individual inspectors in the way of having to buy their shirts to wear at the inspections plus all the other expenses normally associated (additional insurance to cover their butts) having to designate a certain number of days a week strictly to do their inspections (I believe they wanted ideally for you to give them 3 days a week). That would be fine if you didn’t do anything else. You would be restricted to a certain area, had to go out and beat the bushes for them to drum up prospects. In other words a lot of marketing efforts on the contract inspectors. If someone had seniority over you, you might be the one to get a job lined up only to have someone else get the call to go perform it.
The offer soon lost its luster when all the elements became known. They may have changed tact on that but at the time it held no appeal to any of the participants.

Oh yeah, if they found absolutely anything amiss on the forms, they had the option of not paying you for whole job. Sounds like there were a lot of mistakes made in the beginning.

Sounds like the way the medical profession deals with hemorrhoids, restrict the flow blood and they go away by themselves. :mrgreen:

I too will not be participating. :wink:

Ive made good money in these programs. There was a person who came to our meeting fri. to share with anyone how much $ they are making and how buisy they are. If anyone spoke with this person im sure they were suprised about how it may be worth a second glance.

Dead on analogy with the hemorrhoids and the $50 inspector.:stuck_out_tongue: Unfortunately, a new hemorrhoid will appear shortly after the old one goes away.