Foot through ceiling

Finally happened. Put my foot through when I missed what was aiming for. Guess it was my turn. Anybody else?

3 Likes

What did you do that for. :upside_down_face:

The ceiling was so perfect with all that knock down texture. I’ve known the owner for awhile. This was a prelisting inspection. The same thing happened to him about 9 months ago.

1 Like

Textured, that is a hard to hide repair.

1 Like

There is a trick to it but it takes time and patience. :face_with_head_bandage:

1 Like

After you cut out the bad drywall, scrape the texture back about 3 inches from the tape joint. tape the joint and let dry, then try to blend the texture without overlaying the original texture. It is hard to explain. Good luck.

2 Likes

I’ve done it with a different texture before but this one is going to be tough because everything is so perfect.

1 Like

The trick is not to overlay the original texture, It will give it to much of a built-up look.you have to play with it. Do what I said above and here and you should be successful. O by the way thin the mud with water and a little dish soap

Just put a new attic access there! :grin:

4 Likes

Or a can light with homemade trim.

2 Likes

…in the shape of a foot…better to see where you are walking. :joy:

Sorry that happened to you, David.

4 Likes

That is a bummer. Use a wet natural sponge to feather the edges after taping and top coat has dried, then a sanding sponge to feather out the texture before paint. Works great if done right. Matching the texture is the hard part, blending it in is the easy part… Had to patch holes in knockdown countless times, and came up with a system that works well.

3 Likes

With as much as the other repair stands out, it could not be worse. Luck was not on your side and I will not press mine by saying something smart.

I have done it. But it was my own home and well before I became an inspector. I think attics are the one spot in a home that I hate doing lol.

Bummer! I haven’t done this yet. Finally, a benefit to being smaller. Lol
Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

The guy that did the other repair was an expert. I couldn’t see it. I’ll probably try to get him back there.

1 Like

I know it is a pain, but I carry small pieces of 1/2 plywood about 18" x 36 and some 48" long. they come in handy when it is difficult seeing the joists due to the insulation and you need to transverse the attic.
Good Luck with it David!

5 Likes

If I was selling my house and a HI stepped on my insulation and flattened it out and messed it up I would be pissed off and demand a repair, if not a replacement.

1 Like

Welcome to the club ! lol

2 Likes

Dang. What’s the solution in this case? Just pay for the repair?