Foundation Waterproofing

Originally Posted By: jhagarty
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Scenario:

New Construction at framing / pre drywall phase. Poured Concrete Foundation.

Client paid for the Foundation to be Waterproofed.

Rather than Waterproofing, the foundation was Damp proofed with a asphalt coating only.

Builder suggests that the exterior Foundation can not now be waterproofed with a polymer coating as there will be problems with material adhering to the asphalt damp proofing product.

Looking for suggestions and recommendations.

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

First thing that comes to mind is an air-gap membrane (the dimple stuff).

One well known brand is Delta

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: Mark Anderson

Joe,

when basement walls are damproofed then imo and others, plz see 6th,7th parag`s http://www.yodergroup.com/concrete.asp (and many more) what will be very important is what was used as backfill against the outside of the walls. Peastone/gravel from the footing-drain tiles all the way up to within several inches of grade is best as it takes the place of soils which can hold water and cause lateral & hydrostatic pressure against basement walls.

we have had to re-waterproof walls that were damproofed `n Delta membrane applied by builders as cracks can & did occur allowing water to enter, so while it is a bit of a pain it can be done. I`m Not saying the Delta membrane isn`t any good, just that protection boards and membranes etc cannot stop/prevent cracks from occurring in basement walls.

maybe discuss with Mr builder to 'extend guarantee' of all walls, that if any crack or seepage/leaks occur he will pay to correctly fix it from the outside. Thats the best i can do right now,it`s Early! ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

imo, the claims made that dimpled sheeting/membrane applied to basement walls relieves/lessens/prevents hydrostatic & lateral pressure because of 'air gaps' is BS. Is it better than other membranes....sure. Might it provide an itty-bitty cushion....yeah maybe, but i refuse to give in to claims made as we have witnessed poured/blocks walls w/various prot. boards & membranes succumb to lateral `n hydrostatic pressure.

http://www.criteriumhomeinspection.com/articles/basewatr.html <--Marcel,these guys close to you?

"a water problem in an existing basement can only effectively be dealt with by: rewaterproofing the outside of foundation walls and/or upgrading the exterior foundation drainage system"

again, waterproofing the walls correctly AND hauling soil away `n backfilling w/peastone-gravel provides best results.

just below read where they say there are alternatives....'typically less expensive'. Yes, these inside systems should be less expensive but from many homeowners i`ve talked with and who showed me the estimates from many of these companies, they are NOT 'less expensive'.

scroll a lil further down where they say 'waterproofing that is claimed to be effective by injecting into the soil on the outside of the foundation is almost always....unsuccessful'.

a lil further down they F U M B L E !

risks?

preventing water from entering stone & block foundations can cause water to accumulate on the outside of walls,increasing pressure on the walls. The result can `n has been total failure of the wall.....next Para....the ? better? approach to control water is to Permit? the water to ENTER? ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) into an interior drainage system,guide it to a sump and pump it away.

What da......don`t they understand here? They say one thing and then turn around `n say something different. Peastone/Gravel!! Along the basement wall, from footing to near grade. It`s called, Drainage!

Are they saying to LEAVE this Pressure against the walls? You do that you WILL have yer Total failure of the wall. C`mon!

http://www.bobvila.com/ArticleLibrary/Task/Inspecting/FoundationFailure.html

http://www.al-home-inspections.com/news-articles/article-4.html

Mark:

Backfill against the foundation and footing is site dirt only.

No drainage tile was installed at the exterior foundation or footing perimeter.

Originally Posted By: Mark Anderson

Joe,

no plans for perimeter tile along footings which leads through footing`s `n connects to inside tile? ![eusa_doh.gif](upload://has2a0g32D0AAlDjAwVcrg3HnhX.gif)

do you have a good idea what kind of 'site dirt' ? The first 1' or so doesn`t matter too much to me but All of the rest of backfill does

oh, and trees....is it a wooded site?

Mark:

This building is under Roof. My first visit to the site was yesterday for a pre-drywall.

One side of the foundation is presently excavated (overlooked running the water and sanitary lines to the building) exposing the footing and foundation on one side only. No perimeter tile or drainage provisions. Zip, Zilch, Nada...

No plan to correct either....

Originally Posted By: jrooff

Water in the hole ( basement) comes to mind.

Originally Posted By: rmeyers

Joe,

When getting involved with construction progress or stage type inspections, I always insist on a complete set of construction documents. (Plans, specifications, contract, change orders, etc.) Sometimes it's surprising how little there is!

Often, items or details that may have been discussed during planning and sales meetings don't find their way into the legal documents. Contractors have a way of using dampproofing and waterproofing interchangeably, usually implying waterproofing, and clients always seem to hear the terms as waterproofing. If indeed, the client paid for "Foundation waterproofing" then he should be getting it. (as properly described in the contract documents) Whether the fix is easy now or not is irrelevant, the contractor should be obligated to provide a "waterproof foundation".

It seems that the extent of dampproofing or waterproofing needed is the point of contention. What are the water conditions on the site? If no tile system is installed around the foundation, it sounds like someone has made the determination that ground water is not and never will be an issue. Contractor? The site must have excellent surface and soil drainage characteristics and the house, when built, will not inhibit these characteristics in any way. (Highly unlikely!)

If this contractor is depending on the wall membrane only for the waterproofing, the site and surface drainage issues become even more critical with no tolerance for standing water in the area of the foundation.

With the issues that appear to be developing, I would recommend not only a possible consultation with an engineer, but that he keep his attorney updated as to any discrepancies between the contract documents and the work being performed. If the contractor comes up with what seems to be a reasonable resolution to the situation, see if he's willing to back it up in writing with an extended warranty on the foundation system. (as per Mark previously!)

Just my thoughts. Let us know how things develop.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Russ Meyers