Framing question

Inspected a 1986 stained cedar siding home today. Unusual moisture intrusion, patches and discoloration in the attic that I recommended the client get looked at further by a remodeler/framer. As I’m writing the report and reviewing the photos it became apparent (maybe) that something else was missing. Shouldn’t there be sheathing and a moisture barrier visible on the outside attic walls? Photos 2,3,4 are all of the inside of the wood siding. Are exterior planks directly on the studs an acceptable method? I realize this is Framing 101 but I just don’t ever remember seeing this particular arrangement, help me out here :smiley: .

Out.JPG attic1.JPG attic2.JPG attic3.JPG

Out.JPG

Out.JPG

attic1.JPG

I’ve seen this before but never liked it Mike…it’s just not the way to do it imo…jim

Shouldn’t there be sheathing and a moisture barrier visible on the outside attic walls?
No, sheating was or is not necessary in cetain applications
Using felt or other mb/vb is preferred method and better building practice

Are exterior planks directly on the studs an acceptable method?
Yes, in certain applications also accepted

I realize this is Framing 101 but I just don’t ever remember seeing this particular arrangement, help me out here :smiley: .
You need to get out more! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Info

How is it any different from, say, T-111 panels applied directly to the studs, serving as both sheathing and finish. There could still have been felt paper or house wrap behind the siding, but those would not be called a vapor “barrier”, because both allow the wall assembly to breathe. However, since there is no wall assembly, (no insulation, no vapor retareder, no interior finish), what need is there for the felt or house wrap, except to act as a second line of defense against water entry?

Alrighty then…no sheathing or wrap required. Thanks for the comments and cedar siding website.

In this case, rain is probably splashing up off the lower roof. So that siding should be water tight, no dry knots or splits. You can suggest an inexpensive “improvement”, and the client knows you are looking out for them. :slight_smile:

John Kogel
www.allsafehome.ca