I've not seen this before

Originally Posted By: jonofrey
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/D/DSC06808.JPG ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/D/DSC068092.JPG ]

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: dedwards

John,

Ive never seen drywall used for exterior sheathing either. In fact drywall would be my last choice of any sheathing material for this application. It is evident in your photos there is already a moisture/mold problem going before any interior walls are put in place. Very curious.

Originally Posted By: lkage

…diminished structural integrity too.

“I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn’t learn something from him.”

Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: Michael D Thomas

Was this building close to another structure? In some jurisdictions drywall applied to exterior walls is acceptable to provide fire-rating.

Usually though it applied over sheeting, covered with house wrap, and then sided, and a different material is used for the lower 24" or so to reduce wicking.

(I?m not saying this is a Good Idea ? just that I?ve see it done).

Originally Posted By: jstevens

Hi guys

I have put siding on a lot of homes in mass , They had sheetrock on out side walls with tarpaper then alum. siding, They where not site build but built in a factory in one piece then flown in by choper and set on a slab.When we installed siding on them , We strip the alum. then put plywood on

A lot of the times we had to strip the rock off because it was so far gone

Jim

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

It appears that the problem exist in the movement of water vapor.

Seeing that you are in Texas, Vapor pressure will cause moisture to move through a wall by diffusion, even if their is no air pressure difference between the two sides of the wall. Vapor diffusion can even move moisture in direction of small differences in air pressure.

In hot humid climates the higher vapor pressure and temperature outside and air condition dehumidified house will cause the movement of vapor through the exterior walls by diffusion, even if the air pressure inside the home is maintained at a high level.

Airflow retarders can greatly reduce heating and cool costs.
Movement of water vapor by air transport is obvious on this problem.

15 # asphalt felt has a permeability rating of 1.0., gypsum wallboard of 3/8" has a permeability rating of 50.

In hot and humid climates wall assemblies can be protected from moisture entry from the exterior. In this case walls will dry to the interior. To accomplish this, the need of no vapor diffusion retarders is needed on the interior.

It appears that the answer to this question would be that the flow through approach was not use in the building. If permeable or semi-permeable home materials are used throughout the wall, water vapor will diffuse through the wall without accumulating.
It appears that due the construction methods used, that the moisture is held at the gypsum board exterior sheathing that is common to construction , caused by possibly a double vapor barrier. One on the outside and one on the inside. Thru vapor diffusion, the moisture is trapped on the inside of the wall assembly.

Hope this helps if I did not confuse you.
Marcel

Originally Posted By: wdecker

I never like to see OSB used as an exterior sheathing, walls or roof decking. It just ain’t as resistant to water as it should be.

Seen many roof decks with OSB, on houses just 3 years old, with swelling, moistuire and mold.

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076
wjd@DeckerHomeServices.com

icon_smile.gif

The OSB family now has ADVANTEK, it is somewhat more relaxed on water absorption. Most homes inspected today do not have that and you are correct in stating that it swells up, and the key here is to protect the product when it is being installed.

Inspection of dwellings that have been constructed with OSB and protected in the installation or covered over as soon as possible with siding etc., will prove that it is as reliable as the CDX plywood manufactured today. There is a reasonable cost differential and is also what called a Green Product.

Marcel

Originally Posted By: lgoodman

Every day I pass a garage that we built in the late 80’s. Owner was going to cover the OSB with vinyl siding to match the house. He never did. The new owner painted it lipstick red. It looks as good as it did when built except for that color.

icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

Their we go, no matter what the color is, the product was protected from water intrusion.

Did you ever stop and introduced yourself and maybe try to convince them to finally install vynle siding on it?
ha. ha.

Marcel

I am totally opposed to vinyl siding and will not install it. This house is my nearest neighbor. For the new owner we removed the vinyl from the house, put a second story on one half and a new rafters,deck and shingles on the other half.New windows,doors and T-111 over the OSB sheathing.

When we removed the vinyl we found, as we always do, wet sheathing around the windows.

icon_smile.gif

Wait when you see what the T-111 looks like in 5 to 10 years.

I'll take the cheap Vinyl at best, for all it's worth.

Marcel

Marcel,

T-111 on my house 21 years. Uncle's house around 35 years. I am very satisfied with its performance. So are his heirs.

No holes from objects thrown by lawn mower. (maybe as many as 20 on neighbor's house when we removed vinyl -his dog carries stones) No wet spongy aea around windows. Superior resistance to wind infiltration. No buckling or oil-canning from temperature changes. Natural wood product from renewable resource. Doesn't look like a plastic house at all. Blends right in to the woods that surround me.

I don't mind new products that improve upon the old. What is the improvement offered by vinyl? I'm not being flip, I think you must have some reason for loving it and I am willing to evaluate your reasons against my total disdain for the material.

I think we are destined to meet in person someday since we meet so often here. It will be my pleasure to meet you.

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Hi. Leigh, hope you are fine and business is good.

I have copied these photos about T-111, I have not had good luck with the product, and it seems it needs a lot of TLC that it usually dosen't get and the Geographic area might make a difference.

It won't let me copy and paste, so here is the address:

sidingsolutions.com/pager/sidingid.htm

This will give you more insight on the product in general.

Marcel

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

looks to me like these pics show white and black mildew. once those 2 spore types begin to “fight” for teritory they let off a toxic gas (forget the gas name) and that is the real danger. close that in a moist dark wall and the entire household will have constant health problems, usualy writen off as “alergies”. suggest…10 parts TNT and 1 part lit match…RUN.