Framing Technique Double stud wall

New construction, I have not seen this before and don’t know the purpose of the additional 2x framing.

A friend of mine did that on his home. It’s for the added R-value and air gap.

1 Like

From what I see in the pic, that doesn’t make sense.

10 Likes

I agree with Scott…

5 Likes

I didn’t expand the photos before posting. He did double framing with his, with offsetting framing. This is not the same.

4 Likes

Jeff, i believe you are thinking of framing that looks like this.

4 Likes

Very similar. They offset the studs though to help prevent thermal bridging.

1 Like

I agree, i cant understand what the purpose would be.
Walkout basement- and all 3 exterior walls were like this

1 Like

Exactly…

1 Like

In pic one, It looks like they used Huber Zip insulated OSB panels, if so that would prevent thermal bridging.
images (1)

4 Likes

What was at the opposite side of the wall. This is not to thicken the wall for added insulation it is to strengthen the wall. Is there something mounted on the opposite wall? Possibly going to mount something (easier to hit the studs later or could be a design needed for shear? (check plans if available).

Nothing, only Hardie siding, and this framing was on all exterior walls. This was a warranty inspection. No plans available.

This does not make sense either as the studs stop roughly 2ft short of the top plate.
Although they did caulk between the studs.

That’s head scratch, and chances are, the reason is dumb.

1 Like

Did both sets go all the way to the floor? Seems crazy, but did they sister two together to get more height?

2 Likes

Like everyone else I have no idea why, but they reduced the R value by compressing the insulation.

3 Likes

They wouldn’t do that, would they? :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

I’m thinking the framer cut them the wrong size the first time and thought WTH, the homeowner bought them, or will buy them, so I have to use them. :+1:

2 Likes

It would definitely be the hard and expensive way to do it. But just spit balling to see what sticks, lol.

3 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking and that insulation is worthless the way it is installed.

4 Likes

Yes, both went down to bottom plate.
No to sister on hight. Full stud to plate+second
Stud to about 2 ft short of top plate with caulking between studs. On my phone now, i will upload more photos tomorrow.

1 Like

Here is a theory: The framer framed and sheathed the wall with the standard height studs and, after looking at the plans, discovered that the walls in this location should be taller, so he removed the top plate and added longer studs next to the shorter studs. Just throwing it out there; anything is possible. :thinking:

9 Likes