Free 90 Day Roof Performance Warranty For MoistureFree Inspectors

I’m still waiting to hear from an **inspector **who has “invested” in his business and has come out ahead with this “deal”.

Exactly what I said.

Might not be a bad deal.

This question is for Bob Pearson:

The free warranty is for 90 days. What percentage of claims for defective roofs occurr within 90 days of the inspection? Many times, it takes 60 days post-inspection for the client to close escrow and move in.

While I do like the concept of declining a warranty program, surely that alone does not indemnify an inspector from a claim of performing a bad inspection.

Lets say the roof is in poor condition. Lets say the inspector misses the obvious. Let’s say the inspector trues to sell a warranty in the process, and the client is hard-pressed for money and declines. He as just paid for a professional inspection. Lets say its a dry summer and now fall arrives and there is lots of rain; 6 months have passed. The roof leaks and the client sues, after a roofer comes and explains that the roof has any number of obvious defects that didnt just happen; its old and worn out.

How is declining the need to purchase a warranty going to help the inspector? Its like saying that if they didnt purchase a warranty from American Home Shield at the time of the inspection, that this can be used to defend the inspector when it is revealed that the furnace was falling apart.

Now, I’m NOT saying that the program is without merit, or cant work for some. I also dont see how it’s going to translate into savings for the inspector in the event of a lawsuit, or will help making minor claims go away without involvng an E&O carrier.

I enjoy the same protection through relationships I have built through the years with reputable contractors I have referred over time.

I can actually see a newer inspector (that is not sure how to properly inspect and report on a roof) applying for this ridiculous roof warranty.

But I can say, IMO…I have never had a client complain about a roof leak that I reported as “In Good Condition”.

I use three categories when inspecting roofs.

1. Acceptable with no obvious signs of defects - Usually roofing materials under 10 years old.

2. Signs of obvious defects - start budgeting for roofing materials now.

3. Defective - Active leak…Replace ASAP.

So if I advise my clients of the actual condition of their prospective roof, where does this roof warranty come into effect?

I’m with Mark, I would like to hear from someone who has had a positive financial gain from this venture.

I asked this question a long time ago and got a zero response from NACHI inspectors who have gained by investing in this program.

Time for you who have to change my mind… Are you out there???

Good points Joe, This sounds like the Brinks deal that worked out so well for those of us that tried it (*NOT) *The only differance is we have to shell out $200.00 to promote this program.

Michael, in regards to Brinks, I’ve had lots of good luck with them. Not perfect, but my clients are happy and it’s been working for me. (And, unlike this moisture free thing, it didn’t cost me a penny to “try” it.)

I’m sure it depends on your location. I tried Brinks for a year with little positive response. others here have said the same. Glad to hear it’s working out for you, anything that highlights customer service is worth it’s weight in gold.

The only time I paid to work , was when I had to pay under the table for a union job.
At least I was guaranteed a profit.
The video was great,but when you are asked to pay up front for something which could be a loss it brings automatic suspition.
If there is so much profit , lets have a promise in writing to get our money back if not profitable.

Good point Bob, A money back guarantee if not satisfied would add a lot of credibility.

It would end suspicion

It would add credibility

It would increase enrollment

It would make the program more of a sucess

On the other hand , if not done shows doubts of the company as to whether or not the program will get off the ground.

Everything needs a commitment to work.

Well said. My sentments exactly.

This program is strictly for US inspectors and their clients only. Is this your market?

Regards

Like it says in the upper right corner of my post, I live in Coe Hill, On which for the uninformed, is Coe Hill, Ontario, Canada

I do not know if anyone will see this as
the discussion seems to be over but I
was just told a question was posed to
me by Joe Farsetta.

The question was how many claims
for defective roofs occurr within 90
days of the inspection - answer -
very few. Most occur when the season
changes from dry to wet and that depends
may vary by location.

The 90 day warranty is a marketing tool.

The idea of declining the warranty is to
give us more ammunition in defending a
roof claim. (Please remember 90% of claims
made against an inspector have no merit
but we still need all the ammunition we can
get)

It allows the question to be asked “Were
you offered a Roof Warranty to protect
yourself against an unexpected roof leak
such as you are experiencing”?

You can see where defense counsel is going
with this.

Everyone have a good day - and if anyone would
ever like me to respond to a question send me
a email with a link to the question and I will be happy
to do so.

My personal email is bob@allenins.com

Bob Pearson

Your absolutely correct… We’ve been presenting the program along with some of our MoistureFree Certified Inspectors to Realtors and they love the fact that the program provides them a marketing tool as well. They can now differentiate their services by offering the FREE 90 Day Warranty to their clients buy directing the business to a MoistureFree Inspector.

We recently did a presentation and all the Realtors in the room had a listing or two and wanted to have the warranty on each of their listings. Immediately the MoistureFree Inspector gained clients he did not have before.

And to your other point, the Realtors recognize the E&O protection value which they get with the warranty at no cost to them.

So they can differentiate their services,provide more value to their clients and get some added protection at no cost… THEY LOVE It!!

After receiving many calls from inspectors who what to better understand our program, we’ve decided to provide an on-line presentation on June 2nd at 7 PM. If your interested, please email me at bill@moisturefree.com and I’ll forward to you your passcode.

http://www.nachi.org/forum/showpost.php?p=364027&postcount=1

For more information see the attached videos
http://www.moisturefreeinspections.com/introductory.html Inspector

http://www.moisturefreeroof.com/introductory1.html Consumer

I’ve heard from a few inspectors that have signed on with moisturefree, they have no complaints and are making extra income. In this down market I think I’ll give it a shot, your client has no obligation- cant hurt. Ron C. Homelife Home Inspections,LLC.

I have just recently enrolled on this program to begin offering free 90 day MoistureFree Warranties. I personally think this is an excellent program for any Home Inspector wanting to both grow his business, and also to gain a better understanding of roofs. The training DVDs material and book (Roofing With Asphalt Shingles) is an excellent resource, and very well documented to help obtain a better insight into how shingles are installed on a roof top. No Home Inspector should be without this excellent training material, which is provided by MoistureFree Warranty. I own a multi Home Inspector Company in North Carolina, and my Clients are very excited about this product offering. Bill Taylor from MoistureFree Warranty has been extremely supportive in helping my Company to have one more leading-edge product offering, that will enable us to keep ahead of the pack, which is very important in this volatile market that we compete in. I highly recommend this to any Home Inspector organization wishing to attract new leads and referrals.

Gary Williams
Certified Master Inspector - Matthews NC
www.asurelook.com

I’ve been promoting this program with my realtor clients and they’ve since been using my services. In fact the Free 90 day warranty has helped me convince them of using my limited pre-listing inspection (i.e.structural,HVAC,roof) in order to list the house with the 90 day warranty.