Free sample sales letters for offering seller (pre-listing) inspections to agents.

http://www.nachi.org/sellerinspections.htm

Hey has anyone ever offered out a pre-listing service to realtors that they can add to their offerings to prospective clients??? is this the direction to take this??? In addition to their spiel about advertising, marketing, open houses,… they can offer a pre listing inspection (advertising Pre Inspected)… or am I just catching on to this concept??/

thanks

I just sent out Nick’s letter last night to the realtor contact I have that found me on the net, and he seems very interested and is taking the time to really mull over the concept and fully understand it. He wrote to tell me that and didn’t just dismiss it out of hand, so already this has been a big help.

Thanks Nick!

I have attempted to market pre-listing inspections to realtors directly. The feedback I got from many was that they were afraid that I would performa thorough inspection (as they have come to inspect) and may uncover a significant, but previously unknown, issue.

The problem then becomes that the seller must now repair or disclose this issue. Some (ok - many) Realtors seem to have the impression that a thorough inspector will uncover issues on a pre-listing inspection (causing headaches for the client/seller) that a less thorough inspector may overlook for a pre-sale inspection.

It is a great thing to be thought of a good at your job, but it does impede marketing of pre-listing inspections.

The other realtor reaction I get is: "the buyer will have an inspection and whatever would be found in a pre-listing inspection will be uncovered and negotiated then, anyway…: They seem to place little value on finding issues prior to listing, almost hoping that the buyers do not hire a good HI or forego the inspection altogether…

I am interested to hear of anyone who finds a mehtod of marketing this successfully.

Like i said, I got a good response from this realtor. I’m going to send it out to a few others I know and see what happens.

I think it’s a fabulous idea because then the house can be made up to snuff before being put on the market, and the seller can ask a higher price which will take care of the cost of the inspection.

Ditto Joe.

The seller’s asking price is likely to be dictated by market conditions that have little to do with the results of an inspection. Where the seller can save money is by addressing some items prior to the inspection which could be big ticket items or kill a deal for a nervous buyer (termites, mold, aged heater or AC). If they have reason to suspect any of those, it makes sense to do a pre-listing inspection.

It can be helpful, but again, I see the realtors’ point that many inspectors are not quite as nitpicky or thorough, and may not necessarily find what I turn up…now their seller is on the hook to disclose it, fix it, or negotiate it, losing even more $$.

If the buyer’s inspector finds it - it is still the same cost to repair, and the seller didn’t have to pay for the inspection.

Marketing a pre-inspected house may be helpful in some cases, but most people I have encountered do not trust the sellers inspection of the home, and opt to get their own anyway…so it isn’t that big a draw for buyers.

Another potential pitfall is that the buyer’s inspector may turn up issues you did not find, and the seller will be PO’ed and want to take it out on you.

If the buyer’s inspector was an HVAC pro in a previous life, and that is your weak suit - it is entirely possible that you may miss a costly item that the buyer’s inspector may find (based on his previous professional knowledge). While you may have followed the SOPs and not have been able to find the issue without such specialized knowledge - it will not save you a ton of aggravation and a dissatisfied client…

Just presenting another point to consider, not trying to dissuade you. I have perfromed pre-listing inspections, but I like them a lot less than the standard ones.

We had several inspectors stand up at the ITA meeting last night and tell the room how very well they are doing with pre-listing inspections. At least 4 spoke on how they procure them and how much business it has brought them. The target marketing benefit of doing them is almost obscene and explained in http://www.nachi.org/sellerinspections.htm

You get actual samples of your work (the report) in so many buyer’s and agent’s hands, buyers and agents who are looking for homes NOW, in you local market, and about to need a home inspector. Talk about target marketing!

I didn’t say they weren’t good from an HI standpoint (although I still am a little leary). I was pointing out that local realtors are soured on them for various, understandable reasons. If I were a realtor, I also would advise clients to decline this service unless they feared or suspected a major, deal-killing problem.

Joe M. Save your last post. You’re going to giggle at it by the end of the year.