Furnace condensate drain terminates onto crawlspace floor.

http://www.majesticinspections.com/catch-of---the-week.html

top of my page…

I inspected this home for the gentleman to prepare it for market.
I’m aware the condensate can be corrosive but there’s a PVC trap
close by .

Drain goes to city sewer…

Do you know of any reasons not to properly terminate it into Trap ?
It can spill into an open 3" adaptor on a dedicated stand pipe with an
interrupted spill to protect from contamination during a back up condition .

Is it the primary or secondary?

Juan
The main concern would of course be the potential for a dry trap
situation…
So I’m thinking running the condensate directly outside through
the bond would be the best situation here .

Anywhere but in the crawlspace

Makes no difference - it should not terminate in the crawlspace.

I believe there may be some older codes that allowed this for the primary condensate drain line, but if I’m not mistaken, it is no longer allowed by the International Code nor the Uniform Code.

It has never been allowed for a secondary to drain in a concealed location.

Thanks Jeff

Yep My thoughts exactly…

It’s hard enough to maintain a dry crawl w/o dumping drains in it .

I understand it’s not easy getting to areas in homes and especially crawlspaces.
This home in particular required me to belly crawl over an area of concrete where
they cleaned the truck shoot, and tank out limiting it to 16"

I had to maneuver through 2 separate window frames like the first one you see
here to get to the area where the condensate drain is…

I try to keep my waist line to 32" so I can do my job appropriately.

Lucky for me the home owner had the wife’s old xmas lights strung about
the whole maze making it somewhat of a journey down the rabbit’s hole experience. :wink:

I think it does make a difference to his specific question about terminating in the tail piece above the trap.

That would be ok for primary, but not secondary. Secondary needs to terminate in a conspicuous space.

Right?

I agree that just taking it outside is best. I would think there would be some kind of evidence that it was the primary, as it would be leaking all summer.

Gotcha. Your question was on-point.

I was referring to its current location and didn’t read his entire post (sometimes my A-D-D gets the best of me :mrgreen:)

The primary could easily tied into the visible drain line, which would be acceptable by most standards. However, if it’s the secondary, it must be to the exterior.

No worries. I do the same thing. Thanks for the confirmation.

Question on your foto. Looks like a T fitting on a horizontal main waste line. Does that trap need to use a Y fitting on angle towards the flow of the waste. I would think that a T fitting could cause waste to come into the trap line. Hopefully the trap would prevent any backup Not strong in plumbing so i appreciate the help. Thanx

There are at least 5 other things wrong with that photo :mrgreen::twisted:

Im sure there is. That jumped out to me and just wanted to confirm my thought. Thanx a lot for quick response

Sorry it was a Joke. I am pretty sure it should be a combo, or a wye and 1/8 bend.

Here i am going crazy cause i could only find 4 problems not 5. Haha. No problem. Thanx for confirmation. This time

Too be honest here that looks like a unconditioned crawl with no vapor barrier ,insulation or exterior vent openings.

Worry about a little dripping here ?

Sort of like worry the lake will overflow if you pee in it.

Yes it should be terminated elsewhere but how much moisture is already in the dirt ?

Kevin is there a vapor barrier under that as I am surprised not to see rotted joists ?

Bob you need to put it on your 55 inch screen.:mrgreen: There is vapor barrier on the ground but not in the place in question. As for the Y it is Y on the the exam.

Far from a properly conditioned space.
That cmu looks wet.
On the phone.

This is just one of many things we found wrong in a new home .
Furnace condensate into a drilled hole in the sanitary drain .

How can you see on the phone Bob.:mrgreen:

Not by okla standards ya cannot connect a primary condensate drain to a waste line in a crawl without a indirect connection and there can be no indirect connection in a crawl space because this would allow backup to overflow into the crawl. Has to discharge outside the foundation and in cold climates if the furnace is a condensing unit care must be taken to prevent ice accumilation from blocking the end of the discharge line