Furnace shutoff switch

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Most furnaces have a shutoff switch for servicing, however today I had one that was just plugged into an outlet. Is this ok? Can’t find anything on it. I’ve never seen one just plugged in before, but I suppose you can just unplug the unit for servicing.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: tallen

I could be wrong icon_biggrin.gif

I think all furnaces are required to have a "rated" switch or disconnect.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Kevin,

I don't do codes. But if this were my inspection, my report would state....Recommend electrician to permanently install (hardwire) power cord at furnace electrical supply.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: jsavino

The furnace requires a dedicated circuit. A switch must be hard wired at the top of the stairs, (if the furnace is in the basement) or outside the utility room. But a switch is not required at the furnace, but only installed for the convenience of the service tech.

John Savino

HomeWorks Inspection Services, LLC

St. James, NY

Originally Posted By: cmccann

John, Not sure what the codes are in NY, but I have never seen a furnace cut off switch at the top of the stairs to a basement. 99% of the homes I inspect have basements, and 100% of the time the furnace has a dedicated switch at the furnace. Do you have some sort of Reference I can look at?

NACHI MAB!

jsavino wrote:
The furnace requires a dedicated circuit. A switch must be hard wired at the top of the stairs, (if the furnace is in the basement) or outside the utility room. But a switch is not required at the furnace, but only installed for the convenience of the service tech.

Actually, the switch must be located somewhere along the route out of the space the furnace is in.

--

Originally Posted By: cmccann

Kevin, That could be pretty much anywhere then.

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: aslimack

I believe John refers to an oil fired system when he mentions the top of the stairs for the safety switch. For gas fired, i think the best case is within reach of the unit.

Adam

Adam, you are correct. It’s oil fired that require a shutoff at the top of the stairs. In electric furnaces or boilers the breaker can be used as the shutoff.

I do believe the AHJ regulates this and it may be different in each area.

--

Originally Posted By: jpope

kmcmahon wrote:
Most furnaces have a shutoff switch for servicing, however today I had one that was just plugged into an outlet. Is this ok? Can't find anything on it. I've never seen one just plugged in before, but I suppose you can just unplug the unit for servicing.

Standard, forced air, gas fired furnace? That's about all we have out here and they are never equipped with a shut off. Just a plug to a receptacle.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Jeff, It’s reffered to as a safety switch or a “serviceman’s” switch. Again, Apparently the AHJ governs whether it’s needed.

Every gas fired furnace I've ever seen was direct wired (except this one, that's why I'm questioning it)

--

Originally Posted By: tallen

Most of the ones I see around here have a switch. Either mounted on the unit or in the same area as the furnace.

When I said "rated" in my earlier post I was thinking of a switch for a motor for some reason. DOH!

Originally Posted By: rsummers

It must be a California thing Jeff I have installed a couple of thousand furnaces in my neck of the state and they are all plugged in with a 20 amp cord.

Originally Posted By: jpope

rsummers wrote:
It must be a California thing Jeff I have installed a couple of thousand furnaces in my neck of the state and they are all plugged in with a 20 amp cord.

Yup ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738