Galvanized fittings on Black Pipe for Nat. Gas 2023

Has something changed recently? Did a an inspection of new construction today and found some galvanized compression style fittings on the main natural gas supply line. Looks to be some sort of crimp/compression fitting that I have not seen before. Didn’t think galvanized fittings were allowed on natural gas lines.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, Didn’t think galvanized fittings were allowed on natural gas lines. I can see how it would save buckets of time rather than having to thread each fitting.

You need to research section 403 of the fuel gas code. There are many approved materials other than steel pipe.

1 Like

Wisconsin uses NFPA 54, National Fuel Gas Code and their “Free” link is very difficult to navigate.

You can always ask a local plumbing contractor.

That’s my plan. I called a friend tonight who is one but he must have recognized my number and didn’t pick up, :rofl:

3 Likes

Are you sure those aren’t stainless fittings?

Michael, it looks like stainless steel, but the fittings are made out of carbon steel.

1 Like

Gotcha :+1:. Basically the same thing as the ProPress fittings just a heavy duty version for different applications.

I picked up some of those ProPress fittings over the weekend for a quick temporary repair on some plumbing for my aquarium not realizing a special crimping tool was needed. Luckily I was able to return them and get some shark bites to get the job done until I can get a permanent fix.

1 Like

Yeah, as Martin says, there are lots of approved materials. I think it’s more of a communication/ID thing rather than a problem with the materials. Meaning they don’t want a plumber to mistake a copper gas pipe for water and cut into it. There’s a rule (at least in Oregon) about labeling gas piping that isn’t black iron as “gas” (I usually see yellow stickers on it) if it’s not in the same room as the equipment it serves. I guess they give the plumber enough credit to be able to follow the pipe in a room to an appliance in a room.

1 Like