Galvanized gas line through wall

Originally Posted By: Monte Lunde
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Jeffrey P

The combination of black and galvanized is not a problem. The problem is getting approval by the AHJ when he makes the statement that "all exposed gas piping must be black pipe" and Kris tries to explain, where a contractor will have a answer.

Kris,

bkelly2 method is the method that the USER Brain Kelly post.

Sleeving is just a good construction method when going through concrete or block wall and your local code might require sleeving in a concrete or block wall.

I just read a post by you and you said that " I can then get the inspector out to check it and then get the tank installed." are you connecting to a propane tank because if you are then you are using the wrong materials.

Like everone else has said "Time to pay a PRO"

--
Monte Lunde CCI, CCPM, CRI
Viking Construction Services Inc.

Originally Posted By: jpope

Monte Lunde wrote:
The combination of black and galvanized is not a problem. The problem is getting approval by the AHJ when he makes the statement that "all exposed gas piping must be black pipe" and Kris tries to explain, where a contractor will have a answer.

Don't hate on me Monte ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

jpope wrote:
There are many requirements for gas line installations that must be met in order to obtain approval from the AHJ.

Regardless of how much we try and discourage him, it sounds like Kris is going to continue with the self-installation.

I am hopeful that he listens more to our advice than that of "the Home Depot guy."

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

I agree with you Jeff about Kris and I don’t hate you. icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

(First time I have ever used those Emoticons)

Originally Posted By: Kris Beck

This honestly seems like a VERY simple installation process. Why do you say that I am using the wrong materials for propane? Black pipe is what a “professional” told my uncle to tell me to use.

Originally Posted By: rcooke

Kris Beck wrote:
This honestly seems like a VERY simple installation process. Why do you say that I am using the wrong materials for propane? Black pipe is what a "professional" told my uncle to tell me to use.

What do you do for a living Kris ?

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com

Originally Posted By: wdecker

Gas must always be in black pipe. It chemically reacts with the zinc coating on galvanized.

Seriously, and I am not in the 'make fwork for licensed guys' camp. Professionals are professionals for a reason. They are licensed and have insurance for a reason.

You are not a pro, nor are you licensed nor are you insured. Your homeowners policy WILL NOT cover you for damage caused by your own actions in an area where getting a professional is better. You are 'Assuming your own risk'. Don't blame me, call your insurance agent. He will tell you.

Be smart. Hire an expert.

BTW: Home Depot guys are NOT experts.

Hope this helps.

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076
wjd@DeckerHomeServices.com

Originally Posted By: Kris Beck

i just talked to a licenced plumber here in Delaware and he said that there is no problem running Galvanized through the wall and then reducing to black.

As far as the insurance not covering any damages the could occur do to me doing it and not a licenced plumber. I am taking my chances. I will do this and probably better than some licenced plumbers. The inspector will NOT pass a pipeline that has a potential problem. You all should know that. Thank you for all of your concern in this. All I was looking for was some insight, and I got it.

Originally Posted By: wdecker

Kris;

As you know (or should) home inspectors are in the business of trying to give best advice and protect our clients. Usually we are trying to protect our clients form themselves. That is the case here.

Consider our job done. You asked for advice, we gave it, you refused it. We are, therefore, without liability.

Also, be aware. If the inspector you are referring to is a local code inspector, most local laws make them immune for liability if they inspect, say it is OK, but it later blows up. In other words, you are on your own.

Still, hope everything goes well.

Best wishes.

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076
wjd@DeckerHomeServices.com

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

wdecker wrote:
Gas must always be in black pipe. It chemically reacts with the zinc coating on galvanized.

Will do you have any sort of reference to support this claim?

--
"I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused"-Elvis Costello

jpope wrote:
[Also, your pressure test must be air or nitrogen - not oxygen.

Where is Kris going to get O2 under pressure? Can he pressure test with Neon, Krypton, Argon, Helium?

Now back to Kris, are you really putting a propane heater in your house? LNG is probably safer.

--

wdecker wrote:
Gas must always be in black pipe.

Maybe in IL, but not the rest of the world. Galvanized is allowed by the IRC and UBC and is quite common here in the Los Angeles Area.

bkelly2 wrote:
Where is Kris going to get O2 under pressure?

Your local welding supply store carries compressed, industrial oxygen.

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Kris the handy man is now going the the welding supply to get and O2 tank and regulator and fittings. What about the noble gasses can he use those? How about hydrostattic testing?

Jeff, most small job pressure tests use a mechanical pump (bicycle). Most large jobs used water or compressed air.

The gas lines also do not need to be oil free, he is not running an oxygen line or medical gas. He is putting propane piping which is hydrocarbon based.

Piping I know. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--

bkelly2 wrote:
Jeff, most small job pressure tests use a mechanical pump (bicycle). Most large jobs used water or compressed air.

Are we talking about the licensed professional or the handyman/homeowner?

I am well aware of what is considered common practice for professionals. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Good one Jeff icon_smile.gif

“I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused”-Elvis Costello

Jeff you just through me when you mentioned cleaning the oil of the piping mateial, generaly not done on flamable gas piping. Maybe by ironworkers but not pipe trades. icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted By: rcooke

bkelly2 wrote:
Jeff you just through me when you mentioned cleaning the oil of the piping mateial, generaly not done on flamable gas piping. Maybe by ironworkers but not pipe trades. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Not done by electricians either.

Join NACHI be Happy

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com

bkelly2 wrote:
Maybe by ironworkers but not pipe trades. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

How did you know that I was an Ironworker?

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Jeffrey

By the high fore-head, Ironworkers always have a high fore-head because of those hardhats.

I have a high fore-head also, book #798344, , took a withdrawal after 10 years.

Sounds like Brian was a fitter in the old days, use to rig for the fitters and what a soft job that was waiting and waiting for them to join pipe.

Brian, do you also have one of those high fore-heads?

I tell the grandkids that the higher the hairline the smarter the person (They believe me). ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--

Monte Lunde wrote:
book #798344, , took a withdrawal after 10 years.

Los Angeles #1116106 - 17 years

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Jeff you posted previously that you were an Ironworker in a past life. Monte I still have most of my hair just wondering how long before there is no brown hair left.