Galvanized sheet metal for fire barrier

Well folks, there you have it.

1 Like

Sorry for the delays in responding, I’ve had a crappy day and I’m finally getting to the report for the day.

1 Like

What is the distance from the stove to the metal and what does the manufacture say for distance to combustibles? What is behind the metal

The metal appears to be attached directly to the wall no space behind.

Technically, the corrugated profile of the metal probably helps some with heat dispersion. Did you find the manual online for the stove and did it offer guidance on reduced clearances? As @lkage pointed out above, it does appear to have some sort of heat shield installed directly on the stove.

I did it states with side shields 5.5

1 Like

Every manufacture of every woodstove or pellet stove or coal stove has different installation requirements. It is up to the town inspector to determine if the unit was installed correctly, including its venting system. Anytime you see one of these types of heating systems you should always ask for approved permits from the town this way your buyer is covered in case of a fire, and you are covered in case of a potential lawsuit. You can spend an hour reading the manufactures requirements, and deciding if the unit is correctly installed,however if there’s no permit your client is not covered by insurance in case of failure / fire.

I’ve not heard of this before. Is this another way insurance companies get around not paying claims?

Hello David how are you doing, yes here in New Jersey insurance companies will do absolutely everything they can do to not pay a claim. Thats why approved permits are so important for major appliances or renovations.
Stay safe out there
Ron

1 Like

When I installed my woodstove and added the rider to my insurance, the insurance company sent an agent to come look at it. All he did was give it a quick glance and said he had to make sure it wasn’t homemade and that it had a UL tag. He never asked about a permit or anything.

“Stoves” are not that common in my area, but I will start letting customers know about possible special insurance needs.

Hello Ryan, yes that will work possibly, just as long as they know it’s there and noted. Sometimes that’s all they require and It appears you would be covered in case of a fire unless they send an insurance adjuster out there to try to find a reason why they should not pay you. I’m all for going above our standards of practice with certain things like roofs and crawlspaces but when it comes to appliances such as a woodstove or pellet stove I at least want to put in my report to ask for approved permits. I may be a little more callous to things because I live in Sue jersey. I was never fond of the saying CYA but when you’re a home inspector you have to be prepared to CYA For every single inspection that you do and for every single word you write.
Ron

1 Like