Garage door photo eye height

Originally Posted By: jhand
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hey, is there a code or regulation that states how high the photoelectric eye on a garage door opeaner should be. I saw one today that was 22 inches up, seemed a bit high to me.

Thanks
Jim

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Usually homeowners that don’t like cats put em up that high. icon_lol.gif

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: chorne

I believe it is 6"

KMcM ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Carla

Originally Posted By: rrushing

Jim,

The proper sensor height should be 6". This height is not specified in the IRC. However, it is specifically identified by DASMA. This sheet states, as do all association data sheets, that the manufacturers instructions will always take precedence.

Here is the link to the sensor height requirement per DASMA:
http://www.dasma.com/PDF/Publications/TechDataSheets/OperatorElectronics/TDS364.pdf

Rich

Originally Posted By: jhand

Thanks Rich, thats exactly what I needed icon_biggrin.gif

Jim

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

My Genie is older, but I just looked in the instructions and it says 4" to 6" from the floor.

Blane,

Alot of the manufacturers instructions do say 4-6 inches. The DASMA sheet should be taken as the maximum height in lieu of the nominal height. If taken as the nominal, the installer could fudge a couple of inches and unknowingly/ possibly cause injury to a child.

By the way, as far as the cat-thing goes, you can scare the hell out of them by duct taping them to the bottom of the door with their feet dangling downward, then lower the door and watch the expression on their face. Reeeewwww!!!!!!!!!!! (feet churning 200 mph)

Of course you have to break the sensors pathway to reverse the door in time. Or do you??? The last part is optional.

Disclaimer-- No animals were hurt or abused, in any way, during the posting of this message. Those scratch marks below my garage door are purely coincidental. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Rich

Originally Posted By: rwashington

my wife will fly up to Duncanville if she reads that post. icon_smile.gif

Richard W Washington

www.rwhomeinspections.com

Richard W.–

Feel free to send’er up here. There are a couple of strays running around… she can have one of them. I do have extra duct-tape so, she could take her turn operating the button.