Garage Door Safety...No Reverse...Advice Please

I’m glad I don’t live in WI…I hate the word defect.

And every thirty days thereafter! :mrgreen:

So do I. Especially when it gets mis-used. Just because something is “broken” doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a Defect.

How about this:

The garage door did not stop and reverse when tested with a reasonable force. The reversing feature is either defective or missing. Recommend having this investigated further for safety reasons. If the door is found to not include this feature it would still be a recommended safety upgrade for this home and this would require a new, safer door opener.

Greg are you using the term Defect because that language is in the Real Estate Purchase contract as opposed to being in the WI HI law?

If the problem isn’t a “Defect” in Wisconsin, then it isn’t an issure in the offer to purchase. If one reads our regulations (Rl 134.xx) it talks more about “Material Adverse Facts”. The contract to purchase is the only method where the safety of future occupants is even mentioned.

Exactly. There can be a significant difference in the perception depending on how one words things in one’s report. Calling everything a defect is, I believe, not the way to win friends and customers.

I have never used the word “defect” in any of my reports in almost six years of being in business. It’s a word that has nothing but bad connotations. Rather, I state the concern (safety reverse not working), state why it’s a concern (that’s the education part that I’m so famous for—closing garage doors kill and injure children and pets, and cause property damage to automobiles, and state my recommendation (have safety reverses installed or repaired).

edit

Great way to think of it, Jae.

Define “reasonable force.”

Stick a roll of paper towel under the door. When the door compresses the towel, the door should reverse.

Paper towels are not an approved method of testing by any manufacturer nor any testing agency.

But, just for fun, “heavy duty,” el cheapo, 2-ply, single-ply, Bounty or Brawn? See why paper towels are not an approved method of testing?

Here it is from DASMA. Anybody want to guess what the value of “readily” is ?

http://www.dasma.com/graphics/SafetyInfo/maint2.jpg

Force Setting Test
Test the force setting of your garage door opener by holding the bottom of the door as it closes. If the door does not reverse readily, the force setting may be excessive and need adjusting. See your owner’s manual for details on how to make the adjustment.

http://www.dasma.com/safetygdmaint.asp

Usually about 10-15 pounds dead weight pressure…