Garage Self Close door question

What you posted is the “building” code aka commercial code requirements. What you want to be looking at is “residential” code requirements. you DO NOT want to get the two mixed up. If you cannot tell the difference between the “building” code and “residential” code, you need to take a local class at the community collage or trade school in your area on building inspection.

If you click on “jump to chapter button” on the link you posted, you will end up in
“Chapter 4 special detailed requirements on occupancy and use”. The word “occupancy” tells you that you are in the “building” code.

“Occupancy” is one of the factors, if not the main factor, that separate commercial requirements and residential requirements.

Hi John, @jbrite1
No I don’t, and although I see spring hinges still installed and some still operational, I inform clients they can adjust to auto close the door if they like or not.

2 Likes

nice explain. I think I will only do recommendation for self close door in the future report.

1 Like

totally get your point and thanks for your time.

wow, must be nice. its a state requirement here in TX

I always recommend self closing garage doors. We inspect to safety standards not code. But if you must:
2018 IRC
R302.5.1 Opening protection. Openings from a private
garage directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall
not be permitted. Other openings between the garage and
residence shall be equipped with solid wood doors not less
than 13/8 inches (35 mm) in thickness, solid or honeycombcore
steel doors not less than 13/8 inches (35 mm) thick, or
20-minute fire-rated doors, equipped with a self-closing or
automatic-closing device.

This does not of course guarantee that all munincipalities adopt this code.

3 Likes

I also always recommend self closing garage doors as well as the proper type of door.

4 Likes

Ditto!

You can all blame the NAHB and their Lobbyists for this confusion, (along with the constant Fire Suppression/Sprinklers), issue!
Over the last twenty years or so, it seems that every other Code Cycle it flip-flops to being required - not-required!

I don’t play BS politics with my clients safety. I report self-closures as required, (as they currently are), and if/when they are not again, I will mention it for safety reasons. Period.

3 Likes

This is a puzzling one. I think the 2012, 2018, 2021 IRC calls for a self-closing door. But I honestly never see them in my area, except for a few in certain counties. I note them on report as “not there” and suggest correction for improvement.
Personal note: If you want to be occasionally locked out of your house - self-closers are a must.

It would take all day to get my groceries in if the garage door was self closing… :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Note: ‘Self-closing’ and ‘self-latching’ does not equate to ‘self-locking’!
If that is a problem, you have the wrong door hardware/lockset installed.
Would also be wise to have a ‘Hide-A-Key’ stashed somewhere readily accessible!

Does no one else use digital door locks? I haven’t had a house key in at least 15 years. I keep a spare handy(backup key) but have never used it. 3 houses, one rental, front door and garage doors. Replace batteries about every 18 months. No fuss no muss.

A few years back my wife got an artificial ankle to replace the fused joint she had. We had a therapist/nurse come to assist with care as she was not mobile for a while.

I put a lock box on the front door so the nurse had entry when i wasnt there. Still have it on the kitchen side now. Lock youself out, the key is right there. We’ve been using them for years with agents. Get your own.

McKee could always prop the door open for the groceries. . . .

I just use the case of beer I bought when bringing in the groceries!

4 Likes

They are actually not required for residential in your state. MN removed the self closing part of the sentence.

2 Likes

Here is what I have found. In Orlando after 2010 most new construction have self-closing hinges. Seminole County and Lake County also the same about the same time. Volusia County we started seeing self-closing hinges in 2020. I do note them in my inspection report, but I do not call them out if they are not present. Most home constructed before that time do not have self-closing hinges.

1 Like

No benefit from a fire rated door if its left open!
Boxing
Might as well park the car in the living room. 'Course I know guys that parked their Harley there!

6 Likes

I did that in college :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

I always had you pegged for one of them Hell raisers!

1 Like

Then you will be recommending them on every single home you inspect, because you wont find one with self closing. Not required.
After 4 years in Florida, I have yet to see a single one.

2 Likes