Gas furnace located in garage

Originally Posted By: jkowalski
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I inspected a house on Wednesday and the gas furnace was located in the garage. I wrote this up as being a safety hazard because the furnace could draw carbon monoxide into the house via the fan cabinet and around the filter. Was I correct.

Originally Posted By: jpope

Gas furnaces are quite commonly located in garages. If the units distribution system is sealed properly, there is no danger of mixing conditioned air with “garage” air.

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jkowalski

jpope wrote:
Gas furnaces are quite commonly located in garages. If the units distribution system is sealed properly, there is no danger of mixing conditioned air with "garage" air.

Hello,

What about leaks where the filter is inserted into the furnace and around the access door to the blower cabinet. I know with my furnace, there is a gap between the filter and the edge of the slot.

Thanks for the info.

John

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Duct penetration. Ducts in the garage and ducts penetrating the walls or ceilings separating the dwelling from the garage shall be constructed of No. 26 gage (0.48 mm) sheet steel or other approved material and shall have no openings in the garage.

M1602.2.4 Prohibited sources (of return air) A closet, bathroom, toilet room, kitchen, garage, mechanical room, furnace room, or other dwelling unit.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: sobrien

Your right John. In my area the unit can not be in a garage unless it has been put into a separate enclosed area (with a fresh air source of course) and the door must be properly weather stripped. icon_smile.gif

Sean