Gas H/W in mobile home

Originally Posted By: cobrian
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Trailer built in 1997 H/W heater gas has no means of combustible air in sealed closet. Do not do many Trailers (wobbly box). What the option?

I see it a safety hazard. To boot some fool sealed every nook and cranny with foam.

Originally Posted By: jpope

Options?

Tear it out and start over.

The foam is extremely flammable and is in contact with the B-vent. The closet must be supplied with adequate combustion air for proper operation and to prevent damage to the unit. Typically, vents are installed in the door.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

JP your the man. My thoughts were close. Thanks for the snap reply.

Originally Posted By: rcallis

Gas mobile home water heaters MUST be approved for manufactured housing, it should be on the data plate.

If it is located inside it should be sealed combustion.

An atmospheric model is available if the water heater is located in a closet on the outside, sealed from the living space.

Check your local codes, but I think this is right.

Reggie

Originally Posted By: jpope

rcallis wrote:
Gas mobile home water heaters MUST be approved for manufactured housing, it should be on the data plate.

This must be a regional thing. Standard gas fired water heaters are used in all mobile and manufactured homes in CA and they are typically installed in an exterior closet. The only variation is the occasional LPG conversion.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: kelliott

Quote:
they are typically installed in an exterior closet

Right, and generally the door is a loose-fitting one at that. And the ones that I've seen have combustion air vents in that outside door.
Nonetheless, JP is right about the fire hazard. Tearing that out for a 2" clearance around the B vent won't be a big deal. Save a life- write it up!

Manufactured home gas H/W Heater with a Rheem the combustible air is brought in the bottom of unit go to Rheem website the info is all there.

All though the vent stack should be treated as we know with proper 2 inch clearance.

Thanks for all the feedback. Chip