Gas Line Inspections

Originally Posted By: bkraner
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have a customer (seller) asking me for Termite, and Gas Line Inspection. I can do the Termite (have the required license) but I am unclear on the Gas Inspection. What is required? Is it a pressure test? I sold a house recently and a HI did the Termite and Gas Inspections, although I wasn’t present I doubt he did a pressure test. He did find a leak in the basement. My question is how does everyone do this? and whats required? I have a sniff meter (tif8800) and can check all the acessible lines. I would love to do a pressure test, but don’t have the requirements to get a Plumbers License (7 years in the trade + others) I’m sure you have to have this to pressure test gas lines (if I’m incorrect here please tell me). I think I understand the insurance and underwriting precautions. As long as you “service” something (and inspecting for leaks qualifies) you can provide a warranty.

I have asked this to Columbia Gas, several State of Ohio agencies and even Hondros College (where I went to HI school) and no one can give me an answer. By the way this is Ohio. ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif)

Do any Home Inspectors do gas line inspections?

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Have them call the gas company.

There is NO WAY I would want to be responsible for a gas line leak.

I think that in most areas the gas company will come out and do a "Gas Safety Inspection" for free, or very little cost. After all, they are the ones supplying the gas and have the big pockets.

Even if your client had to pay $50-$100 for that, it would be worth it to them (should be worth it to them) and gets you off the hook.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: wwarner

I agree with Jerry.

Explain to your client what your limitations are. Beyond that, refer to the utility company for a full evaluation of the lines.

I explain when asked that I look at accessibility and do the sniffer or soap test at the connections to the appliance, the meter, and reasonable visible unions near by. Is a leak possible somewhere else in the line... sure, anything is possible! To be 100% sure, they should contact the utility company or gas provider.

--
Bill

It's only Rock 'n Roll.... but I like it!

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

If it is Columbia Gas (now Nisource) they test from the ‘prefab’ to the street.

As I read the law, and many tell me I am full of it, you MUST hold a State licence to do 'plumbing' work.

PS If it is WardFlex are you WardFlex qualified? And I know the gas co. inspectors.

IMHO Do not do gas line inspections.

Mike P.

Start here:

http://www.columbiagasohio.com/business/plumbers/

Mike P.

I understand that to do plumbing work (pressure test) you need the plumbers license. As a HI, what would I need a gas leak detector for?

I have never heard of WardFlex what is it?

Originally Posted By: cmccann

I recently started using my Tiff around the furnace connections and water heater and was not finding any leaks what so ever, until the other day. I was running my gas sniffer around the furnace gas valve when the whistle started going off. Turns out the line that was leaking was the line for the pilot light. Very small leak not able to smell unless you were right up to the valve with your nose. So I will always check for gas leaks around furnaces and water heaters.

NACHI MAB!

Regarding safety, if you find a leak do you shut off the gas or notify the owners? what if the owners are not present?

Originally Posted By: cmccann

Everyone was notified, the HVAC guy came out right away.

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: dhartke

I did an inspection last Friday on a 10 year old home that had a gas water heater and furnace in a closet off the bedroom. I did not smell any gas the whole time but I had either the furnace or the AC running while in that area.

I did a walkthrough with the buyer on Saturday morning without the air handler running and we both smelled gas. I added Gas Leak to my report. The realtor called me on Monday and asked how I knew it was gas. I told her I knew what gas smelled like from when I worked maintenance at the steel mill (we had a 193000000 BTU furnace that had leaks weekly). She said the owners called out an HVAC guy a year ago when they smelled gas and was told there was no leak and they should vent the closet to the outside. I had heard enough. I offered to go back at no charge with my Tiff and look for leaks. It didn’t take long to find 3 (one was at the pilot light tubing, one ell, one union). I tied flagging around them, had the owners witness the Tiff’s stellar performance, and notified the realtor.

That family had been living with those gas leaks for at least one year.

I won't get out the Tiff unless I smell gas first and then I tie ribbon around the fittings. In my report I add THERE MAY BE MORE. Beyond the scope of the inspection? You bet, but I've seen the results of people who were up close and personal with a gas explosion. If you're lucky you're killed instantly.

Bret

http://www.wardmfg.com/wardflexdetail.asp

Mike P.