Gas line inspections

Originally Posted By: bkraner
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am a new inspector and want to add gas line inspections to my services. What requirements are there to be able to get into this. I assume I need a plumbers license and do they have to be pressure tested. I am in Ohio.

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Bret

Start here:

http://www.columbiagasohio.com/business/plumbers/

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: jjudy

Bret, are you doing new construction or inspecting existing services and are they LP or Natural Gas?

I would like to do both I never even thought of LP.

Bret

You do have to be licenced.

Mike P. OH. Lic. #26286

Mike can you please expand on the details of getting a licence for Bret?

Mike, Bret, interested in a NACHI Chapter meeting? Open to all.

? 4740.06. Application for license issuance; renewal.

(A) Any individual who applies for a license shall file a written application with the appropriate section of the Ohio construction industry examining board, accompanied with the application fee as determined pursuant to section 4740.09 of the Revised Code. The individual shall file the application with the appropriate section not more than sixty days nor less than thirty days prior to the date of the examination. The application shall be on the form prescribed by the appropriate section of the board and verified by the applicant's oath. It shall contain information satisfactory to the appropriate section showing that the applicant meets the requirements of division (B) of this section.

(B) To qualify to take the examination required to obtain a license for a heating, ventilating, and air conditioning contractor, refrigeration contractor, electrical contractor, plumbing contractor, or hydronics contractor, an individual shall:

(1) Be at least eighteen years of age;

(2) Be a United States citizen;

(3) Either have been a tradesperson for the type of contractor for which the application is filed for not less than five years immediately prior to the date the application is filed, be an engineer, have three years of business experience in the construction industry, or have other experience acceptable to the section of the board that authorizes issuance of the type of license sought;

(4) Maintain contractor's liability insurance, including without limitation, complete operations coverage, in an amount determined by the appropriate section of the board;

(5) Not have done any of the following:

(a) Been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor involving moral turpitude or of any felony;

(b) Violated this chapter or any rule adopted pursuant to this chapter;

(c) Obtained or renewed a license issued pursuant to this chapter, or any order, ruling, or authorization of the board or a section of the board by fraud, misrepresentation, or deception;

(d) Engaged in fraud, misrepresentation, or deception in the conduct of business.

(C) If the applicant for licensure as a heating, ventilating, and air conditioning contractor, refrigeration contractor, electrical contractor, plumbing contractor, or hydronics contractor meets the qualifications set forth in division (B) of this section and passes the required examination, the appropriate section of the board, within ninety days after the applicant filed the application, shall authorize the administrative section of the board to license the applicant for the type of contractor's license for which the applicant qualifies. A section of the board may withdraw its authorization to the administrative section for issuance of a license for good cause shown, on the condition that notice of that withdrawal is given prior to the administrative section's issuance of the license.

(D) Each license issued under this chapter expires one year after the date of issue, but each individual holding a valid, unexpired license may renew the license, without reexamination, by applying to the appropriate section of the board not more than ninety days before the expiration of the license, and submitting with the application the renewal fee as determined pursuant to section 4740.09 of the Revised Code and proof of compliance with the continuing education requirements applicable to that contractor. The renewal application shall contain information satisfactory to the appropriate section of the board showing that the applicant continues to meet the requirements of division (B) of this section.

The appropriate section of the board may waive any of the requirements for renewal of a license upon finding that the applicant substantially has met the renewal requirements or that failure to timely apply for renewal is due to excusable neglect. If, in renewing a license, a section of the board waives requirements for renewal, that section may impose conditions upon that licensee and assess a late filing fee of not more than double the usual renewal fee.

(E) An individual holding a valid and unexpired license may request the section of the board that authorized the issuance of that license to place the license in inactive status under conditions and for a period of time as determined by that section of the board.

(F) Except for the ninety-day extension provided for under division (D) of section 4740.07 of the Revised Code, a license held by an individual immediately terminates upon the death of the individual.

(G) Nothing in any license issued by the Ohio construction industry examining board shall be construed to limit or eliminate any requirement of or any license issued by the Ohio fire marshal.

HISTORY: 144 v H 402 (Eff 7-31-92); 146 v S 162 (Eff 10-29-95); 148 v H 434. Eff 9-18-2001

Mike P.

Mike, Thanks I’ll start digesting that!

Jeff, Yes I’d be interested in attending a chapter meeting

Mike thank you for the time and information. Great detail.