GAS-TRAC Model NGX-6

Originally Posted By: dbush
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Has anyone used one of these as a general gas detector? If so do you like it or dislike it?

Dave

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Dave,

Sorry I can't help you with this one. I use the TIFF 8800A.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: nlewis

Joe,

How do like the Tiff? I used to use the Tiff years ago, but it seemed like it was giving me alot of false positive readings. And that ticking noise can drive ya nuts if it is on for a long time. I've changed to a Bacharach, but I actually don't use it too much.

Neal,

I don't think the TIFF gives a lot of false positive readings. I think inspectors are holding them too close to the pipes. They seem to be sensitive to pipe dope also which sometimes makes them tick faster.

Is what I do is keep the probe about an inch from the pipe and go completely around it. These things are so sensitive they are reading as low as 50 PPM. Soap and water would not even pick that up! ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif) At 50 PPM it would take all day to make a bubble. Even longer if you want one big enough so that you could see it.

I like it. Just like me it?s sensitive! I have been trying to get in touch with my feminine side.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

That’s okay, I was watching one on Ebay, bid a little on it and it suddenly jumped from $100 to $225 and then sold for $360. I think someone got caught up in the auction. I was looking at the TIFF 8800A also and I think I like it better anyway.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Dave,

I’ve been also looking around at multiple gas sensors but much of the stuff that’s on Ebay is 10-15 years old and is difficult to get calibrated, and replacement sensors are hard to get. I also have a Tif 8800A and like it and its simple, both Tif and Bacharach make good single gas monitors. I did see a post either here or on Inspection news that someone found a source of Tif 8800 for $150:00 which is as good a price as you will find.

I must admit that I like the idea of a multiple detector on my belt for my own safety, but what I would have to pay for something small enough that I could feel I could trust really is beyond my reach at present. but if you want to do some research AIM and MSA both make some really neat toys.

Regards

Gerry

try EBAY.com

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: cnelson

Has anyone herd of an ultra track 2000? It Detects combustible gases and carbon monoxide. How does it measure up to a tiff or others?

Thanks
Chad

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

It seems Gerry is the only one who knows how to spell Tif. Way to go Gerry! eusa_clap.gif

If we are going to use the damn thing we should at least know how to spell it.

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: dfrend

The Gas Trac is what my FD uses. Maybe because it is firefighter proof. Lord knows what dimwits they can be. It is easy to use and have never had a malfunction on the hundreds of gas leaks I’ve run. But if I amy ask, how do you intend to use it? Will you carry it through the whole house or just run it near appliances and pipes?

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

www.homeinspectorstore.com

Daniel, since I originally posted this, I went and bought a TIF 8800a, which I am very happy with. I keep it with me throughout the interior on a holder on my tool belt. I bought an adjustable walkie talkie holder from a police supply store and it hooks right onto my 2" tool belt and I can carry it anywhere. It works great.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

I guess what i want to know is what are you doing if you find a leak?

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

The last one I found the seller was with me also, so they knew exactly where the gas leak was and they “assured” me they were going to call the heating repair guy immediately and tell them that their gas valve was leaking and needed immediate repair. If no one is there, then a call to the seller and possibly to the gas company is in order.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/article.jsp?id=21703&sectionId=46

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/article.jsp?id=21185&sectionId=45

PLEASE CALL THE LOCAL FIRE DEPARTMENT IF YOU DETECT ANY GAS! These two incidents show the danger. The second nearly killed the firefighters. The leak may be small when you detect it, but it can easily get bigger. And one spark could level the place. Think of the liability. You detect the gas. Call the seller, gas company may be backed up. You advise the seller and maybe think it is minor, let them fix it. They come next day to check, turn on the light causing a spark, BOOM!

I have seen too many places destroyed. Most places, like here, call the fire department. The gas company could be hours which could be too long. The FD will shut it down and air it out, the gas company can fix it when they get there. And most important- GET OUT! Don't assume it is no hazard. even with a detector.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store