Gas Leaks

Originally Posted By: dvalley
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have several questions for those of you who utilize the TIFF 8800 for gas leak findings. I?ve been finding gas leaks every week but I want to avoid becoming an alarmist on every little gas vapor detection…

1.)Do you test all gas piping throughout the house or only when you smell gas?

2.)To what extent do you call out a gas leak; when the ticker starts pulsating faster or only when the ticker turns into a siren like sound?

3.)Do you find that most of the gas temperature controls (mostly water heaters) do leak at the top control knob?

4.)Do you find that half of the unions and elbows at gas lines do leak and to what extent to you call out a leak? Do you call out every finding even if its a minute leak (a small rise in the TIFF pulsations).

I'd appreciate feedback from all that are familiar with this tool.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: cmccann

David,

Finding a gas leak is not an alarmist in my mind. Simple fix. I mostly find gas leaks at the line for the pilot light in the furnace, and also at the shutoff valve for the water heater. I have only found fittings leaking near the water heater once. I mostly use the Tiff to verify when I suspect a gas leak, but at times I will use it to get to hard to smell places. I was on a real streak at one time for finding gas leaks, but it's been a while since the last one. I have walked into a basement and smelled what seemed like gas, but not until I put the Tiff at the gas dryer fitting did I find the leak. Buyers are grateful and the sellers are glad also. Fast clicks or a siren it's still a gas leak.

--
NACHI MAB!

C’mon Guys and Gals,

Nobody but Chuck and myself use the TIFF 8800?

More Feedback would be Appreciated.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Pipe fittings where accessible. And of course, if I smell gas.

Need to be careful about going gung-ho with these detectors. There are alot of things that will set them off including pet odors. I don't use around furnace or hot water heater because they'll always go off! Many experienced HI's don't use them unless they suspect a problem. New guys use them as a shock n' awe device for their clients and report the slightest detections.

Erol

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Clarification: Co2 detector for furnace needed, not TIFF.

Erol

Originally Posted By: jsavino

I’ll use mine when there was a resent appliance replacement. Only because the piping was disturbed, and on all gas meters located inside the home.

John Savino

HomeWorks Inspection Services, LLC

St. James, NY

Originally Posted By: syared

I’ll use my Tiff when I smell gas, using it to verify the area it’s coming from.

Originally Posted By: rhinck

I check every available fitting w/ mine. I’m also aware that there are certain joint compounds that will set it off.

Rick

Originally Posted By: dbush

I use mine at fittings, especially around the appliances. However, I set mine up to a just above average setting to ensure that it is getting a true reading. Mostly it is when it goes to a “siren” that it is alarming.

Dave

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

the biggest problem with the TIFF 8800 is user error, in particular having the sensetivity set so high that it will squalk at just about anything. I generally only use mine to confirm the location of a leak that I can smell, I also quite often check just the stop taps on the gas supply to fires and ranges as they frequently work loose and?or the packing has broken down.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: rchoreyii

I have TIFF 8800, I have yet to use it as I use my nose to tell me whether there is a gas leak. Natural Gas is very perfumed. Doesn’t take much in an enclosed space to smell it. Once I did I would cal the TIFF in the enclosed area and then use it to find the point of the leak. Then of course notify the owners and the gas company and let them know.

Ron Chorey

LAS CRUCES Home Inspections

rchorey@comcast.net

rchoreyii@nm.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: dedwards

I use a kitchen match

Originally Posted By: jpeck

I use the Tiff 8800, and yes, many (most? maybe) gas valves leak.

I find them leaking on new homes. The builder calls the plumber or the gas company and they come out and REPLACE the valves, no more leaks. Their comment is 'Yeah, many DO leak, just most people either don't check or don't let us know. If everyone checked and let us know, the factory would have to tighten up on their controls, because they hate getting these back, but not enough go back to the factory for them to take notice.'

It's $$$. Let the factory know that most leak and they can (and probably will, they hate returned merchandise, that is lost $$$) do something about it.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Quote:
I use the Tiff 8800, and yes, many (most? maybe) gas valves leak.

Do you test every visible line? Or just when you smell it?

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Basically just at the water heater lines and valve.

There is no gas heat down here, at least I haven't seen a gas furnace in over 10 years. There were some, but they have all been replaced with a/c air handlers with electric strip heaters.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Jerry,

WOW, No gas furnaces in Pem. FLA. Amazing, because 75% of the homes here in MA. use nothing but Gas to heat their homes.

One more question....
Do you find that 95% of the temperature contol valves (at water heaters) leak gas vapors at the top of the box?
There are so many leaks that I decided that this was a norm.

Your thoughts please.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

David,

We seldom HAVE to use any heat, even during our "winter", thus there is no cost savings and no cost pay back for anything other than electric heat strips.

I'd put the gas valve leakage closer to 75%. If anything over 50% is "the norm", then that is still the "norm", but does not necessarily make them "good".

I explain things like that to my clients this way: The speed limit on I-95 is 65 mph. How many people drive 65 mph or slower?

After they quit laughing, I ask "Have you ever seen ANYONE drive that slow on I-95?"

Typically, they answer something like "Once, maybe, I think."

The "norm" does not make it right ... each and every one of the faster cars were "wrong" and could have been ticketed.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Jerry,

Good example.

So are you telling me that you "red flag" every last one of those temperature valves that leak?

I only ask because I had a plumber tell me that almost every one of those temp. valves leak and they are not a serious issue unless they smell up the room.

I sided with him and decided "not to make an issue" out of all those damn faulty valves unless of course, I smell gas.
![](upload://htMACKVaJU4K7vnlAuYkBHRvgiI.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

dvalley wrote:
Jerry,

Good example.

So are you telling me that you "red flag" every last one of those temperature valves that leak?

David,

Yes.

If in doubt, I would address it this way:

Call the water heater manufacturers that you typically find and ask them.

Then call your local gas company and ask if ANY gas leakage (you are loading the question for them to give you the answer you want) is acceptable at fittings, joints and valves.

My guess is that they will answer 'No.'

Now you drop the real question: 'That's what I thought, but I find lots of valves that leak.'

Question? That's a question, you ask? Yes, because they will likely reply 'You do, valves should not leak. What valves are you finding that leak?'

You've now got them to state twice that no valves should leak.

"The gas valves at the water heaters. Many leak." Leave the "most leak" for later in the discussion, as in 'I should write up leaking valves, then, right?' followed by 'By the way, MOST of those valve LEAK.'

I'm curious as to how the discussion goes and what the gas company tells you. Also what the water heater manufacturers tell you. Please advise after you've talked to them.

By the way, I've always been told that there is a reason for NOT testing for gas leaks with a match. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) Would you test those valve leaks with a match? If not, that is part of your answer. If yes, tell me what happens when you test the next one that way.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Thanks, Jerry.

David Valley

MAB Member