GE HVAC Age Code

I have a code list beginning with Amana and ending with York, but no GE appliances.

Can anyone tell me the date code on this AC unit M/N: BTN724A100A1 S/N: 452614T34 & this furnace M/N BLU080E942B1 S/N 54289T07. Home built in 1982.
(Now I see the “80” after BLU for the furnace. Could be a 1980. How about the AC though?

thanks,

Hank,

The Furnace (M/N BLU080E942B1) was manufactured in 1980 it has a capacity of 80,000 BTU’s.

The A/C unit (M/N: BTN724A100A1) is as follows…

If it has** 24,800 BTU’s** it was manufactured in 1981
If it has 22,000 BTU’s it ws manufactured in 1982

It appears to have 24,000 BTU’s, so it’s a** 1981.**

Thanks David. Do you have a reference sheet available for GE HVAC units?

I used the Prestons Guidefor your particular search.

That’s some guide! Maybe I can ask for this set next Christmas.

I’ve never seen cooling capacity stated as BTU’s. I believe BTU is a heating designation; cooling will be in terms of tonnage.

The model number will not give you the manufacture date unless you know that a certain model was only manufactured in one year.

For General Electric, the date is coded in the last three digits in the serial number. The T in both instances here tell us that it was manufactured in 1960 or 1981. Logic and other facts (a 1982 house build) tells us that both are 1981 manufacture dates.

The model number will give us other information. For example, the 080 in the furnace model number does tell us that it is 80,000 BTUs. In the A/C model number, the 24 tells us that it is a 2-ton unit. FYI, one ton is 12, two tons is 24, three tons is 36, etc.

I actually find the Technical Reference Guide more valuable than Preston’s Guide, but both of them together make a very good resource. You can find the Technical Reference Guide at About Homes in the Books and magazines area.

Russel,

Please be more specific as to determining the age of GE HVAC.

Is there a formula (for GE) that you can post here?

pp. 65-67 in the Technical Reference Guide. It’s a spiral-bound paper book, so I don’t anything to post. All things considered, the cost of the TRC is insignificant.

Wrong…

The cooling capacity of A/C units is measured in tons, but my posting of BTU’s is simply reference material only. One ton of cooling equals 12,000 BTU’s or the amount of heat it takes to melt one ton of ice in a 24 hour period.

Tonnage-The unit of measure used in air conditioning to describe the cooling capacity of a system. One ton of cooling is based on the amount of heat needed to melt one ton (2000 lbs.) of ice in a 24 hour period. One ton of cooling is equal to 12,000 Btu/hr.

BTU- Most air conditioners have their capacity rated in British thermal units (BTU). Generally speaking, a BTU is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one pound (0.45 kg) of water 1 degree Fahrenheit (0.56 degrees Celsius). Specifically, 1 BTU equals 1,055 joules. In heating and cooling terms, 1 “ton” equals 12,000 BTU.

I also have this same book. But I keep it in my tool bag to use on HI’s.

I just thought you had a reference table that I could “copy and paste” into my files.

It would be great if someone had time to copy this info (from the book) onto this MB.

Thank you anyways.

First, the fact that I have or have not seen something cannot in and of itself be wrong. You should have done a better job of cutting, pasting, and quoting.

Second, I had always wondered what “tonnage” meant and have never bothered to look it up. Thank you for the education.

Notwithstanding the fact that 1 ton equals 12,000 BTU, I’ve never found a licensed HVAC tech who talks about air conditioners in terms of BTU, only in terms of tons. So knowing that 12 = one ton, 24 = two tons, 36 = three tons, etc., is important. Knowing that the 12 = 12,000 BTU (and I’ll take you word on all that; I’m still not going to look it up) is not necessarily as important in my eyes when discussing tons with my Clients.

The education of Russel Ray, however, is always important, and for that, I thank you again.

Could you not be that “someone” who has the time to copy the info from the book onto this MB? :wink:

Ya know…I could give it a shot. I think it’ll take me quite a while to get all that info. accumulated onto a document.

Maybe between you and I, we can get this accomplished. I’ll do the first half of the book and you do the second half.

What do you say?

Hey, wait a minute…I just realized something.
You have speech recognition software, Right?
Well, how hard would it be to get this information onto a document by utilizing your speech recognition software?

Voice recognition software, ability to talk, and/or ability to type has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Since the book is copyrighted, and Carson Dunlop, located in Canada, has not seen fit to allow me to publish their copyrighted materials at About Homes, I’ll have to decline to post it here. Since the book is still in publication and for sale, that’s only logical and to be expected.

That’s why there is a link at About Homes for their Technical Reference Guide.

If I know something is copyrighted, then I endeavor to obtain permission from the copyright holder to post something somewhere. If I don’t know that something is copyrighted, then I’ll use it, and if it turns out that that something is copyrighted, then I’ll deal with it appropriately upon notification. In this case, the Technical Reference Guide is copyrighted, and I know that, and Carson Dunlop has declined permission for me to post the information at About Homes and, guilty by association, of course, here.

I have no control over what other people do, or do not do, or post.

Copywrite…smopywrite.

I have the gonads to post copywrited material here, so I think I’ll get started on this.

Maybe Carson & Dunlop can approach me if they have a problem with me posting any of their reference material.

I’m not sure gonads has anything to do with it either. I just think that, for whatever reason, you’re in a bad mood today.

Nonetheless, I have a venture going on elsewhere to which I have to pay attention to copyrights.

For the few copyrighted materials that I have posted here, such as from Barry Stone or Inman News, I’ve always sought permission before hand. It’s usually not difficult to obtain because they want their names and organizations plastered around the Internet just like everyone does. Free publicity. Since Carson Dunlop has the book for sale, they asked me to post a link instead. I did. And I’ll leave it at that.

You do your thing as you see fit, and I’ll do my thing as I see fit, and may both of us have the best of luck.

can one actualy put a copyright on reference material? “reference meterial” in and of itself is just a compilement of public information put in one location. all the actual info in any “reference” should be able to be found in other forums and anyone could find it. it’s the fact that the authers took the time to gather it all up in put it in a single publication, the cover price is worthy of that effort. i bet if well all put every piece of info we’ve gathered in this feild together into a book, we could sell it for a huge provit. but if someone had the same info, how could you proove that it was “your” info. i think a bigger risk in posting all that info would be plagerism. and that may get you a call from a lawyer, but i dought thay’de persue it unless you were making a profit form it, which your not. but i’ve been wrong before…wait…no i wasn’t…sorry my mistake.

Yes. Just ask the Encyclopedia Britannica people, or anyone else who copyrights their reference material. One can copyright just about anything.

Exactly. And as the international copyright courts have determined, the time spent compiling all that information and putting it in one location can be copyrighted. Format also plays a significand part.

By copyrighting it.

As far as “plagerism” [sic], this is from the Encyclopedia Britannica:

Note how they worked “violation of copyright laws” in there?

Check under Trane.
Same unit inside the GE face plate.

Only the GE heat pump division was sold to Trane Canada, so checking Trane may or may not be relevant.