GE Profile Refrigerators

Originally Posted By: bhendry
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi,

We've run across several GE Profile refrigerators lately. On many of them - the entire freezer door activates the wiggy (not just the water area). I sent an email off to GE tonight.

Anyone already wrassled with this issue?

Regards,

Bill

![](upload://6W2YnX4wTESErcMziSzPMju9jcW.gif)

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Because someone probably forgot to connect a ground someplace. Those have electronics in the door, the metal door cover needs to be grounded, and if it is not, it’ll set of a voltage sniffer.

Jerry Peck

South Florida

Originally Posted By: Guest

It activates the Wiggy or does it activate a sniffer?

If it's activating a wiggy there's a real problem.

Originally Posted By: David Fix

And here’s where I get lost… What in Sam Hill is a Wiggy or a sniffer?? icon_razz.gif

Originally Posted By: jpeck

David Fix wrote:
And here's where I get lost... What in Sam Hill is a Wiggy or a sniffer?? ![icon_razz.gif](upload://rytL63tLPMQHkufGmMVcuHnsuWJ.gif)

A Wiggy is a solenoid operated voltage tester which draws 'significant' current to cancel out most 'false' readings. A Wiggy requires electrical contact.

A voltage sniffer is a non-contact detector (like a Tic Trace or Voltage Detector) which picks up the static voltage signal and does not need any current flow.

When items are not grounded, the outer metal case picks up and transmits that static voltage signal through it. A voltage detector (sniffer) will pick that up. A Wiggy will not. A Wiggy will tell you IF there is voltage on the case, but not that the case is or is not grounded. If the voltage detector goes off, the case is not grounded, otherwise, the static votlage signal would be discharged to ground.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida