generator hookup

Im told that there is a transfer switch that connects to your generator to allow power to the house. Ive looked and all I have been able to find are ones that you tie into the service panel

That’s the point.

They move selected circuits from the house panel to the generator panel when needed.

These are great if your POCO uses them. Some charge a few hundred dollars for installation but this is all that you need, no transfer switch, no electrician, no permits.

http://www.globalpowerproducts.com/Image/products/generlink2.jpg

And a huge possibility of overloading your gen set.

I would not recommend.

No different than an inlet box and breaker interlock, and the generator has integral overcurrent protection.

Looks to me to be a great idea …does seem to have the protection .

Safely Connect a Portable Generator To Your Home Without Rewiring

The use of a portable generator by homeowners during a power outage can be lethal if the equipment is not utilized properly. The GenerLink Automatic Transfer Switch ensures the home is removed from the utility grid when a generator is used, eliminating the possibility of the back feeding of electricity. The GenerLink can be installed in less than twenty minutes, giving homeowners access to their entire electrical panel. Each unit ships with a standard twenty foot cord which ensures a connected generator is outside, in a well ventilated area to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. It is also beneficial for a utility during the regeneration of the lines because anyone with a GenerLink installed will remain off the grid, reducing the “cold load pickup”.

The GenerLink is a break before make transfer switch. It is UL 1008 listed and conforms to the National Electric Code section 702. Many utilities in the United States and Canada have approved the GenerLink for installation in their service territories.

Model
Description
MA23-N
30 AMP GenerLink - Non-Surge
MA23-S
30 AMP GenerLink with Whole House Surge Protection Built In

MA24-N
40 AMP GenerLink - Non- SurgeMA24-S
40AMP GenerLink with Whole House Surge Protection Built In

I understand that but having selected circuits tied to a transfer switch, while more expensive, seems like a much better way to go for most people who have little understanding of electricity beyond plugging in.

http://www.globalpowerproducts.com/search.php?search=generlink&button=Search

Awesome information

here is why I ask. Client has REO Properties and wants electrical tested.

I have been unable to find a transfer switch that installs on a generator.
I like Roberts idea
However that still involves pulling the meter socket which is a $1000 fine in my area.

What you posted makes little sense.

Sounds like a massive amount of CYA.

If there is no power, or you have the mains turned off or you pull the meter(or utility does) a transfer switch does nothing.

But you should never connect with unless the meter in out or other means of assuring isolation from the power grid anyway.

Alot of CYA on which side
Mine or Clients

Your client is trying to assure nothing gets damaged by contracting with you.

Call him for clarification. what they are requiring is goofy.

I have numerous emails and today phone calls. They have me starting to think I’m crazy that I do not know about this generator installed transfer switch.

They will not provide a Scope of Work or a make and model of the product. Instead they refer to the fact that if I do not know how to provide the service then they will have to go to another company.

I believe that they are operating under the hope that illegally backfeed the service to complete the job scope, all the while keeping themselves at arms length to say. (we didn’t tell him to do that)

The company was just awarded management of the contract. It looks like I may loose the work as well for not being able or willing to comply with the new requirement.

I agree. The most versatile solution is being able to select any circuit from your service panel when on generator power but this does require a certain amount of knowledge as to how the system works.

Here is a thought:

I don’t think you are crazy.

Contact me via PM if you want to talk or just call me.

The transfer switch does not install on the generator. It is installed on the service panel to prevent any chance of having two sources of power at the same time or backfeeding generator power onto the utility lines.