GFCI Opposite Sink

What are yout thoughts on this.
Do you think these outlets on the opposite side of the sink needs GFCI protection. One of them is within 6ft of the sink but the others are not.
I would say yes or at least one of them in the circuit.
Looking for feedback on this set up even though I think I just answered my own question…
Thanks,

Max, the NFPA 70 210.8.B(2) states a kitchen needs GFCIs - it doesn’t specify any distances.

Kitchens or area with a sink and permanent provisions for wither food preparation or cooking

2 Likes

Yes. How I word my narrative & recommendation would depend upon the date of original construction or permitted update of the kitchen. Think 1996 NEC.

1 Like

Kitchens 1987

Another thing to always check for is if there is one upstream, or those receptacles have a dedicated breaker and are not marked as such.

2 Likes

Ok I figured that was the case. Thanks,

The only gfci was on the side of the sink cabinet / island but it was on a seperate circuit.
Thanks Thomas

Any receptacle serving a counter top in a kitchen requires GFCI protection regardless of the proximity of the receptacle to a sink.

2 Likes

^^^^^^^^^
As Robert said.
203ecm17fig1

1 Like

Thanks. Appreciate the help.

This is just exactly what I comment every time, I got called out by one electrician saying it is only 6 foot radius.

The rule has changed about 5 times in the past 30 years but the GFCI protection for the countertop receptacles has been there since the 1996 NEC.

2 Likes

Who cares if its code? You’re not a code inspector. Although perhaps not required at the time of construction, or kitchen updates. Current industry standards recommend GFCI receptacles installed at receptacles serving kitchen countertops.

2 Likes