Glass block mortar thickness

Originally Posted By: mpearson
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/163-6311_IMG%20(Small).JPG ]

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Standard?

As long as this gap was filled, I don’t see an issue.

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: roconnor

In general glass block joints should be between 1/8" and 5/8" using IRC R610.9 as a guide … icon_wink.gif

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: James D Mosier

This 2" area isn’t a joint between glass block. It’s a 2" thick (tall) cement base that a glass block window is sitting on.

Jim Mosier

Originally Posted By: roconnor

The mortar that masonry units sit on is called a “bed joint”, and should be in the range given. But unless there is deterioration I don’t think it’s a huge problem.

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: rmoewe

As long as there is mortar under the block and it is not cracked, broken or lose , it should be fine. Most glass block are laid with shims too. I bet money that there is a 2x4 or something under the first course. icon_wink.gif

Glass block are impossible for a mason to cut. Glass block and all masonry units are made a certain size. Now with real block or brick you can cut it to a dimension that does not hit coursing. You can do that with glass block, they won't cut. So you are left with a real big bed joint at the bottom, to reach what ever height they had to hit. Glass block are very hard, (for good masons) to lay. So the height can not be made up in the bed joints.
I bet they laid the first course and left it for a day to set.