Masonry construction at windows

We are seeing, more and more, this kind of construction on masonry condos around here:

1. Glass block windows installed with no lintels. Please note the control joint directly adjacent to the windows.

2. Not scraping off the “snot” between the two wythes.

3. No end dams on the window flashing

4. Added sand to the mortar and the mortar having great absorbancy with multiple hairline cracks.

Comments? What is it like, and what is considered best practices as opposed to “acceptable” by local codes.

DSCF5684.JPG

DSCF5691.JPG

DSCF5701.JPG

DSCF5692.JPG

I would assume that at this point the glass block can’t have a lintel due to the fact that the brick veneer supports any lintels , which in turn should not cut across the vertical control joint.

They would need to eliminate the window for it to be proper.

Also with the garage entry I think that they must still be working on the trim as water would just enter the side and go through the CMU which I assume is untreated with a silicon based product?

Was there Any building constructed since 1970 should have rubber, plastic or metallic “flashing,” a protective skirt that curves around joints to protect against moisture. When water does get through a wall, it collects on the flashing and is released through “weep holes,” small openings in the masonry. These holes are most obvious at the top of the foundation wall.
3/16-inch-diameter weep holes every 33 inches at minimum, just above the flashing . Flashing, in turn, is recommended under the first course of masonry at ground level, above windows and doors, below window sills, and at any lintels and shelf angles .

Was there a moisture barrier at least 6 inches at bottom .?

Please explain more about the end dams

End dams, above fenestrations. Keeps the moisture from running down the edges of the opening.

In my experience, the lintel / masonry space whould be equipped with weep wicks and the space left open (no caulk or grout) to allow for proper water management.

Also, in Chicago, the (now) require flashing and weel wicks above every levels joist pocket area.

Come to the next Chapter meeting. I will be giving a whole presentation on this topic.

Hope this helps;

CMU single wythe flash 1.jpg

Thanks
It does
Looking forward to presentation.
Will it be July?