Has anyone seen this before? Can't make sense of it

I’m not really sure what they were thinking when they did this or way it happened in the first place. Am I missing something? I was not able to get to the part of the attic to make more sense of it. Why would the pipes be so close in the first place then cut one off below the boot?

My guess would be a possible sloppy job of a high efficiency furnace intake and exhaust.

2 Likes

I’ll have to go through my report again to see but all the other homes with this contactor has the intake and exhaust coming out of the side of the home. Oh thats right. The furnace was upstairs because theres no basement. It was getting dark and didn’t take the time to think I guess. Thank you

1 Like

This tells me it may not be the furnace flue. Just call it out in the report as needing correction. That one pipe is below the seal of the flashing and may have been poorly supported under the pipe.

3 Likes

Do as suggested above & remember you are dealing with 2 different trades (plumbing & roofing) who don’t communicate or cooperate with each other. If it is an HE furnace or water heater, be sure to check the manufacturer’s installation requirements for proper termination.

1 Like

I’ll side with caution. My guess, Strong wind. It’s a problem though.

1 Like

Observation: Suspect: Abandoned vents.
1: Top vent pipe appears partly lowed. Gap between the rubber pipe flashing and lower PVC pipe is susceptible to water, weather and vermin attic infiltration.
2: Bottom vent. Old painted and capped roof pipe flashing. The lower pipe flashing collapsed exposing the PVC vent pipe.
Recommend: A licensed HVAC installation and service contactor evaluate and correct the roof vents.
Limitation: Inspected by mounting the roof deck. Images taken with a Model XXX point and shoot camera.

1 Like

All I will say is it seems you are trying to investigate the cause. I would inspect the condition. There are a variety of reasons for it. The pipe could have had a joint at one time. HVAC made a mistake cutting pipe, roofer damaged it the list goes on.
It is very hard not wonder isn’t it?
Have a good weekend

2 Likes

Charles is correct. Refer it out for correction by a qualified licensed plumber should work fine.

1 Like

Thanks guy for the information. Any investigating that I might be doing is for my own benefit. I like knowing the cause of something even though I’m going to report just on just the defect. I was just curious why the pips were so close together and why the pipe would be lower then the boot. It makes so much sense what you guys are saying that I’m almost embarrassed that I didn’t think of it when I saw it. Thanks again

2 Likes