Heat Vents

During a new-construction inspection a few weeks ago I found this “hot spot,” created from the water heater vent traveling up through the second floor.

The heater had only been operating for a few minutes and I suggested that the vent clearances may not have been maintained.

As it turned out (I learned today), the builder opened up this wall to find that the B-vent hadn’t been properly secured in the wall cavity and was in direct contact with the drywall.

bwv4.JPG

bwv2.jpg

bwv3.jpg

bwv1.JPG

Wow…

Good catch, Jeff.

also look for furnace vents and, I don’t know if you have these in California, steam or hot water pipes for steam or circulating hot water heating systems.

I once found a leaking steam pipe in the wall of an old condo conversion. The whole wall was hot. Old plaster and lathe. I will see if I can find it and post it.

I take all kinds of pictures :mrgreen:

manif1.jpg

manif2.JPG

Good catch.

Great catch, glad to hear that the problem was resolved.

Hey Jeff,
I really like the FLIR… Do you charge your clients extra for using it on inspections??? I am assuming that most inspectors will be using them in the future, and the prices are already coming down due to competition.

I think FLIR’s are great screening tools, I am sure there will be some legal issues in the future once more inspectors are using them… Its a fine line between finding concealed defects, and not finding them… And I am sure inspectors will come under scrutiny in the future. Ofcourse we come under scrutiny for visible defects as well.

Please do let me know if you charge extra for a FLIR inspection…
Thanks!
Justin

I use it as just another tool. The client isn’t given a choice as to whether or not I use it, so I don’t charge an additional fee for inclusion of thermal imaging.