Heating oil

Originally Posted By: wcampbell
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Ok, I’m going to show my Texan ignorance. icon_redface.gif

Having never lived further north than San Antonio, I don't know much about the heating oil that is used up in the North Country.

Is Natural Gas not used? And if not, why not?

I never heard of oil burners untill becoming a home inspector. All I ever heard of was Butane, Propane, and Natural Gas.

Ok, go ahead and let the hick have it.

--
This Ole House-Home Inspections
William A. Campbell TREC # 6372
Serving the Texas Coastal Bend
(361) 727-0602 (home)
(361) 727-0055 (office)
(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Natural gas is piped to each house that uses it. In rural areas it is not economically feasable to run pipe for miles for one customer. Propane and oil can be trucked and stored on site. Some older homes in urban areas may still be on oil largely because they were just never converted to gas when gas was available to them.

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: pgudek

Bill, as a transplant from NH, I’m curious. Did you come across an oil burning furnace?

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

We had several developments in VA that were oil heat because they were built in the 70’s while there was a gas moratorium. In those days oil heat was much, much cheaper than electric heat.

Bill, no I have never seen an oil burning furnace. And I hope to always live in the south where they arn’t needed. icon_wink.gif

Thanks to all who responded.

--
(361) 727-0602 (home)
(361) 727-0055 (office)
(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Originally Posted By: jedwards

William, in South Carolina, they’re very common in older homes. There’s one in my girlfriend’s house, and I grew up in an oil-heated house. Interesting that you don’t see 'em over there in oil country!

John Edwards

Assurance South, LLC home page

Pre-Paid Legal Services

Originally Posted By: pgudek

I grew up in NH with one. We had a 250 gallon tank in the basement. If I remember correctly the oil was just really kerosene. Come to think of it, it would heat the hot water too. I have never seen one in TX.

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Kerosene has a lower sulphur content than #2 Fuel oil.

Furnace Oil (#2) and Diesel are the same. The only difference is the Dye added for Motor fuel tax purposes.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: kpapp

I have a oil furnace heating hotwater baseboard…It has cost us with these high fuel prices little over $400 since Oct to heat our house and still have another month to go…I think its org equipment and the house was built in 1973. We get it serviced every year and seems to do a great job. I still want centeral air though for the hot season…window units just dont seem to do that good of a job…

Bill PLEASE send some of that heat up to Pa..we could surly use it ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--

Right now it is a VERY COLD 50deg. icon_wink.gif If I could send you some South Texas heat, would you please close the NORTH GATE??

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Originally Posted By: kluce

I use to work on oil heat all the time in Wisconsin. Glad to be done with it. (never get the smell out of the truck) There is an oil furnace that burns sooo clean that it doesn’t need to be vented. icon_eek.gif It was at a heating convention and the unit was up and running. They superheated the oil and the flame was o so blue. I can’t remember if they used #1 fuel or #2. Its been to long.

Waited for the nozzle to become partially plugged. ![eusa_doh.gif](upload://has2a0g32D0AAlDjAwVcrg3HnhX.gif)

The thing I like was the heat exchanger on a lot of them were easy to check. I can't think of any other good things about them. O-ya, a lot of them still use univeral parts.