HELP, Damp stain on ceiling, who to refer to?

Originally Posted By: waksell
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I inspected a condo last week, {friend, freebie, no written report} and found two stains on the ceiling. I tested them with my moisture meter. I also tested the ceiling 12" away. Both stains registered higher moisture than the unstained part of the ceiling. I don’t remember exactly what the difference was. I was told that the roof had been damaged in the hurricane and repaired. I noticed in the attic that the unit had been repiped with polybutylene. Who should I recommend the client {friend} have evaluate further, a roofer, a plumber, a general contractor?

Friend called today, seller won't act without something from me in writing.

Originally Posted By: rzimmerman

Wesley,

Were you able to get in the Attic?

Were you able to walk the roof?

If yes, what did you find?

Also, has the roof been leaking sence the hurricans, or did it reciently start?

Still a lot of questions unanswered. I would question the seller on spacific issues relating to damage and the stains.

If I can help with my infrared camera let me know. I'llwork a deal with you as it is a friend of yours.

--
Rob Z.
www.RZinspections.com

Originally Posted By: tallen

I inspected a condo last week, {friend, freebie, no written report}

Don't do that!!

If you must give your friend a discount, at least make it a dollar, or your E&O will not cover you. Well, mine won't.

If you preform an inspection >> ALWAYS get a signed contract and charge something , even if it is a dollar.

My $3000.00 dollars worth ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Friend called today, seller won't act without something from me in writing.

Exactly.

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: waksell

Thanks todd,

Good advise. Called my attorney. He said no letter, back out of deal fast. Give written report for a fee only and nothing else, ever. Too much liability.
I am new to the business and it seems that there are a lot more legal issues than I thought about.

Thanks Robert For the help and the offer. Looks like it won't be necessary this time.