Help in North Carolina

Originally Posted By: Wilson Hash
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am presently living in Florida and active in the construction field and have been for 30 years. I am also a licensed Florida General Contractor. I want to semi retire in Asheville, NC and I am looking at the Home Inspection Field. I expect taking the six day HI course at an accredited school. I have looked at the qualifications for the NC Home Inspector to be able to take the exam. On the experience side you have to have 100 inspections under your belt or be a NC licensed general contractor. I am licensed in Florida, which I assume does not qualify. How can you get 100 inspections under your belt? by working for someone I presume. Will any Home Inspection Company hire any one of my caliber, if I plan to go in business for myself. If there are any jobs in this field in Asheville, NC, I would love to talk to them. I might just want to work for them and not be in business for myself. Let me know anybody Thanks :?: :?:

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Wilson,

Your situation may not be as complicated as it appears, firstly I would approach the general contractors licensing board in North Carolina and check whether they have reciprocity on licensing for general contractors, quite a lot of states will accept across licensing. That being the case I would apply for a reciprocal general contractors license in North Carolina.
That would get you one of the basic requirements for home inspector licensing in the state, I would strongly urge you despite your background to take an education course that is accepted by the state of North Carolina (a list of which is featured on their web site) and also to approach home inspectors in that state to see if you can arrange to go on a few right alongs with them.

By the way welcome to the message board.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: Wilson Hash

I have already checked and from what I can tell, they only reciprocate with South Carolina, otherwise I would have to take their state exam.

Thanks

Wilson