North Carolina

This is a good question for Nick… What is going on in North Carolina? Will InterNACHI have courses to get licensed there? My Master plan is to work in New England in Summer months and South in The Winter… eventually. Anyone shed any light on this?

You are going to market two separate areas hundreds of miles apart?

That’s not the question… the question is … Are there any on line, distance courses, that satisfy The North Carolina Requirments.

Good luck

As of October 1996, all home inspections in North Carolina must be performed by a North Carolina Licensed Home Inspector. Licensure is accomplished by meeting stringent requirements set by the State of North Carolina and passing a comprehensive examination administered by the Home Inspector Licensure Board.

Requirements to be licensed as a home inspector in North Carolina.

To be licensed as a home inspector, an applicant must do all of the following:

  1. Submit a completed application to the NC Home Inspector Licensure Board upon a form provided by the Board.

  2. Pass a licensing examination prescribed by the Board.

  3. Have minimum net assets or a bond in an amount determined by the Board. The amount may not be less than five thousand dollars ($5,000) nor more than ten thousand dollars ($10,000).

  4. Pay the applicable fees.

  5. Meet one of the following three conditions: Have a high school diploma or its equivalent, have been engaged as a licensed associate home inspector for at least one year, and have completed 100 home inspections for compensation.

NC Home Inspector Licensure Board

322 Chapanoke Rd. Suite 200

Raleigh , NC 27603

(919) 662-4480

(919) 662-4459 (fax)


120 hours can be done online and 80 has to be field work.

There are only 6 testing dates held in Raleigh this year. I am in North Carolina, as much as I am in Virginia. I plan on taking my exam on October 16, 2014

In NC, you have to take classes approved by the State (the class topics change each year) and the instructors have to be State approved. There are only about 4 instructors accredited to teach in NC. It’s a racket…but the training is very good.

Poke around here:

Thanks for the great replies… I am based in New England, but at some point next year I may want to go south and get in the 80 hours of field work in. Thanks again. Dave

David, There are several ways to get licensed in NC not all require class room and/or field training. All require you to take and pass the licensing exam, if you fail it you must wait 6 months before you can retake the exam.

The fastest and preferred way by many is to get your General Contractor License then take the test. There are no pre-requsets for the GC exam. Its and open book 90 question test. Most take a 1 or 2 day review course (pass the test class) before taking the exam. There is no requirement that you build anything just have it for 6 months. There are no CEU requirements for your GC license. The only thing you must due is keep it in good standing as long as you are a licensed home inspector.

There are several places that offer the class room training on-line. Some offer both field and class room options. Look here for a list of course sponsors

AHIT does on line training
ASHI and NIBI are on the list but I don’t know what they offer

I recommend The Home Inspection Training School of 228-09433620 Euliss RoadBurlingtonNC27215
They are a North Carolina based company, their training is execellent and will have the emphasis on passing the NC Licensing Test (important). They also are approved for on-line training.

A summary of the requirement from the Licensing Statue follows:

a. Have a high school diploma or its equivalent and satisfactorily complete an education program approved by the Board. The program must be completed within three years of the date the applicant submits an application for licensure under this section.
b. Have education and experience the Board considers to be equivalent to that required by sub-subdivision a. of this subdivision.
c. Be licensed for at least six months as a general contractor under Article 1 of Chapter 87 of the General Statutes, as an architect under Chapter 83A of the General Statutes, or as a professional engineer under Chapter 89C of the General Statutes. A person qualifying under this sub-subdivision on or after October 1, 2011, must remain in good standing with the person’s respective licensing board.

**[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]size=2 The Board shall consider equivalent experience of applicants who do not meet the experience requirements of GS 143-151.51(5). Any one of the following descriptions of experience shall be considered sufficient to meet the equivalent experience requirements:
(1) A bachelor of science degree from any engineering, architecture or building technology school and two years experience working in building design, construction, or inspection of building, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing systems.
(2) A two year Associate of Applied Science degree from a community college or technical school in building technology, civil engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or architecture; and either four years of design experience in building, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing systems, or four years experience as an employee who works under the direct supervision of a licensed general (residential or building) contractor and who supervises electrical, mechanical, and plumbing subcontractors.
(3) Six years experience as an employee who works under the direct supervision of a licensed general contractor (residential or building) performing building construction and who supervises electrical, mechanical, and plumbing subcontractors.
(4) Certification by the North Carolina Code Officials Qualification Board as a Code Enforcement Official with Standard Level I (or higher) inspection certification in four areas: building, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing.
(5) Any combination of certification listed in Paragraph (a)(4) of this Rule and a license as an electrical contractor (limited or greater) issued by the NC Board of Electrical Examiners, or a license as a heating or cooling contractor (H1, H2, or H3), or a plumbing contractor issued by the NC Board of Examiners of

[size=2]of Plumbing, Heating and Fire Sprinkler Contractors, resulting in either a certificate or a license in four areas in building, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing contracting or inspections.
(b) Applicants may submit other experience in the design, installation, or inspection of buildings and electrical, mechanical, and plumbing systems. The Board’s Application Evaluation Committee shall consider such experience on a case-by-case basis.
© Successful completion of a home inspection course or training program, approved by the Board, is sufficient to meet the equivalent experience requirement for licensure. The applicant must provide to the Board certification from the home inspection course or training program demonstrating that the applicant has met all requirements of that program, including attendance, testing, and training as applicable. The home inspection course or training program shall consist of at least 120 hours of instruction. The Board shall approve a home inspection course or training program if such course or program provides adequate instruction to teach all skills and knowledge necessary to be a fully licensed home inspector in this State. The Board shall request any documentation or information needed to demonstrate that a home inspection course or training program meets such requirements.

I have heard the approved instructors for home inspection licensing are charging 5k for the training.

Like anything the price will vary. I think that The Home Inspection Training Institute (Gregory Engineering) is about that which includes both the class room and field training. The local Community College here is approved and charges about $800 for the course add an extra $100 for the book (carson dunlop) Field training is not offered through the CC but will be about $1500 to $2000