HELP Nick & HIP with COMSOP Comments

Hi Guys,

Nick has asked me to make a template for Home Inspector Pro based on NACHI’s comsop and I told him I’d be happy to. While I have tons of inspectors using Home Inspector Pro performing residential inspections I only have a few performing commercial inspections and they’ve made their own templates.

So what we’re asking for is for NACHI members to submit comments/narratives that can be used in the following sections. Please state which section the comment belongs in (i.e. 6.5.1-C would be about Roof Slopes).

Nick is contributing a ton of his own commments to get this started as well.
Everyone submitting comments will have their names added into the software as well as onto our website as a contributor (if your website address isn’t in your signature, make sure you let it be known).

Please do not submit comments that are copied from other software programs as we cannot use them.

Thanks!

6.5 Observations

6.5.1  Roof

I. The inspector shall inspect from ground level, or eaves or roof top (if a roof top access door exists):

A. The roof covering.
        B. For existence of exposed membrane.
        C. Slopes.
        D. For evidence of significant ponding.
        E. The gutters.
        F. The downspouts.
        G. The vents, flashings, skylights, chimney and other roof penetrations.
        H. The general structure of the roof from the readily accessible panels, doors or stairs.
        I.  For the need for repairs.

6.5.2  Exterior

I. The inspector shall inspect:

A. The siding, flashing and trim.
        B. All exterior doors, decks, stoops, steps, stairs, porches, railings, eaves, soffits and fascias.
        C. And report as in need of repair any safety issues regarding intermediate balusters, spindles, or rails for steps, stairways, balconies, and railings.
        D. A representative number of windows.
        E. The vegetation, surface drainage and retaining walls when these are likely to adversely affect the structure.
        F. The exterior for accessibility barriers.
        G. The storm water drainage system.
        H. The general topography. 
        I. The parking areas.
        J. The sidewalks.
        K. Exterior lighting.
        L. The landscaping.
        M. And describe the exterior wall covering.

6.5.3  Basement, Foundation & Crawlspace

A. The basement.
        B. The foundation
        C. The crawlspace.
        D. The visible structural components.
        E. And report any present conditions or clear indications of active water penetration observed by the inspector. 
        F. And report any general indications of foundation movement that are observed by the inspector, such as but not limited to sheetrock cracks, brick cracks, out-of-square door frames or floor slopes.

6.5.4  Heating

A. The heating systems using normal operating controls and describe the energy source and heating method.
        B. And report as in need of repair heating systems which do not operate.
        C. And report if the heating systems are deemed inaccessible.

6.5.5  Cooling

A. The central cooling equipment using normal operating controls.

6.5.6  Plumbing

I. The inspector shall:

A. Verify the presence of and identify the location of the main water shutoff valve to each building.
        B. Inspect the water heating equipment, including combustion air, venting, connections, energy sources, seismic bracing, and verify the presence or absence of temperature-pressure relief valves and/or Watts 210 valves.
        C. Flush a representative number of toilets.
        D. Run water in a representative number of sinks, tubs, and showers.
        E. Inspect the interior water supply including a representative number of fixtures and faucets.
        F. Inspect the drain, waste and vent systems, including a representative number of fixtures.
        G. Describe any visible fuel storage systems.
        H. Inspect the drainage sump pumps and test pumps with accessible floats.
        I. Inspect and describe the water supply, drain, waste and main fuel shut-off valves, as well as the location of the water main and main fuel shut-off valves.
        J. Inspect and determine if the water supply is public or private.
        K. Inspect the water supply by viewing the functional flow in several fixtures operated simultaneously and report any deficiencies as in need of repair.
        L. Inspect and report as in need of repair deficiencies in installation and identification of hot and cold faucets.
        M. Inspect and report as in need of repair mechanical drain-stops that are missing or do not operate if installed in sinks, lavatories and tubs.
        N. Inspect and report as in need of repair commodes that have cracks in the ceramic material, are improperly mounted on the floor, leak, or have tank components which do not operate. 

6.5.7  Electrical

A. The service drop/lateral.
        B. The meter socket enclosures.
        C. The service entrance conductors and report on any noted conductor insulation or cable sheath deterioration.
        D. The means for disconnecting the service main.
        E. The service entrance equipment and report on any noted physical damage, overheating, or corrosion.
        F. And determine the rating of the service amperage.
        G. Panelboards and overcurrent devices and report on on any noted physical damage, overheating, corrosion, or lack of accessibility that would permit safe operation and maintenance.
        H. The service grounding and bonding.
        I. A representative number of switches, receptacles, lighting fixtures and AFCI receptacles.  Although a visual inspection, the removal of faceplates or other covers or luminaires (fixtures) to identify suspected hazards is permitted.
        J. And report on any noted missing or damaged faceplates and box covers.
        K. And report on any noted switches and receptacles that are painted.
        L. And test a representative sample of Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) devices and GFCI circuit breakers observed and deemed to be GFCI's during the inspection using a GFCI tester.
        M. And report the presence of solid conductor aluminum branch circuit wiring if readily visible.
        N. And report on any tested GFCI receptacles in which power was not present, polarity is incorrect, the cover is not in place, the ground fault circuit interrupter devices are not installed properly or do not operate properly, any evidence of arcing or excessive heat, or where the receptacle is not grounded or is not secured to the wall.
        O. And report the absence of smoke detectors.
        P. And report on the existance of flexible cords being improperly used  as substitutes for the fixed wiring of a structure or running through walls, ceilings, floors, doorways, windows, or under carpets.

6.5.8  Fireplaces

A. Fireplaces, and open and close the damper doors if readily accessible and operable.
        B. Hearth extensions and other permanently installed components.
        C. And report as in need of repair deficiencies in the lintel, hearth and material surrounding the fireplace, including clearance from combustible materials

6.5.9  Attic, Ventilation & Insulation

A. The insulation in unfinished spaces.
        B. The ventilation of attic spaces.
        C. Mechanical ventilation systems.
        D. And report on the general absence or lack of insulation.

6.5.10  Doors, Windows & Interior

I. The inspector shall:

A. Open and close a representative number of doors and windows.
        B. Inspect the walls, ceilings, steps, stairways, and railings.
        C. Inspect garage doors and garage door openers.
        D. Inspect interior steps, stairs, and railings.
        E. Inspect all loading docks.
        F. Ride all elevators and escalators.
        G. And report as in need of repair any windows that are obviously fogged or display other evidence of broken seals.

6.5.11  Life-Safety

I. The inspector shall:

A.  Inspect the address or street number to determine that it is visible from the outside with numbers in contrast to their background.
        B.  Look for the existence of fire alarm systems.
        C.  Inspect for alarm panel accessibility.
        D.  Inspect for the existence of portable dry chemical extinguishers and their accessibility.
        E.  Inspect for the existence sprinkler systems.
        F.  Inspect for the existence of emergency lighting systems.
        G.  Inspect for exit signs at all exits and inspect for independent power sources such as batteries.
        H.  Inspect for the existence of directional signs where exit location is not obvious.
        I.  Inspect for the existence of signs over lockable exit doors stating "This Door Must Remain Unlocked During Business Hours."
        J.  Inspect for penetrations in any walls or ceilings that separate the exit corridors and/or stairwells from the rest of the building.
        K.  Inspect for fire separation doors that appear to have been blocked or wedged open or that do not automatically close and latch.
        L.  Inspect exit stairwell handrails.
        M.  Inspect for exit trip hazards.
        N.  Inspect for the existence of at least two exits to outside.
        O.  Inspect to determine that the exit doors were not locked from the inside, chained, bolted, barred, latched or otherwise rendered unusable at the time of the inspection.
        P.  Inspect the storage at the time of the inspections to determine if it is potentially obstructing access to fire extinguishers, alarm panels, or electric panel boards, or if it is obstructing aisles, corridors, stairways or exit doors, or if it is within 18 inches of sprinkler heads or if it is within 3 feet of heat generating appliances or electrical panel boards at the time of the inspection.

oh wow just saw this.
Too bad you can’t put this in the form of a wiki so we can add to each section and edit as we go.
here is materials or as I phrase it… describe and inspect
exterior wall covering

describe and inspect :
The wall covering is brick with some decorative stone
The exterior wall covering is vinyl siding
The exterior wall covering is aluminum siding
The exterior wall covering is wood siding
The exterior wall covering is insul brick
The exterior wall covering is stucco
The exterior wall covering is EIFS
The exterior wall covering is brick veneer
The exterior wall covering is stucco

The exterior wall covering is metal siding

Hmm, I actually could put a wiki together but then it would be on my site and not here. Nick wanted to try and keep this post here. I could create wiki and then post the results there though. I’ll get to work on it.

It would just be neat if we could somehow put the comments right into those sections you posted. hmmmm

That’s what I’ll setup, post here as well though so others can see what has been posted.