Help Please with re-roof requirements?

Hello, I am new to the forum, I am not an inspector which will be obvious by my questions, please be kind.

My wife and I purchased a house in Hobe Sound last year. The insurance tripled last month, not an exaggeration, multiple the original amount by the number 3 and that’s the new amount. We have absolutely nothing for wind credits except hip roof - whats that like 1% discount? LOL

House built in 84, wood frame, re-roof in 99

I have been researching for weeks, read many of the discussions on here, especially the one about the SWB/SWR. After all the reading I found out the discount is crap for that anyways.

I have discovered most of info I need. The main discount appears to be the clips. Currently I am at toenail level - some clips have only 1 nail. The clips do not have any marking on them, but they appear to be the Simpson H5 clips - at least they look identical to them. I’ve been crawling around my attic, sweating to death, installing Simspon-Drive SD Connector screw #9x1-1/2" which was listed as manufacturer approved for these clips.There are 4 holes and I am installing one in every open hole.

I also need to do the roof deck nailing. Currently at 6d every 12 inches. Need to go to 8d every 6 inches.

So first question, I see much conflicting info. I see 8d round head rink shank nails 2-3/8 length 0.113 diameter as minimum, and also 8d round head ring shank nails 2-1/2 length 0.131 diameter as minimum. Which is it? I bought a Dewalt cordless framing nailer, should I just use 8d round head rink shank 3" by 0.131 nails to be safe? Many companies make those, Dewalt is one of them. Are collated Dewalt nails approved? Galvanized of course. Also found 2-1/2 inch 0.131 Hurriquake nails on Amazon, any good?

Just yesterday while looking at the building codes for the 100th time, I see the new FBC is coming into effect Jan. 1st 2020.
Here’s my real concern now. It looks like the minimum deck thickness is 15/32 or 19/32. I currently have 7/16 OSB decking - NONE of it is damaged whatsoever so I did not plan to replace it. What now with the new building code? I am going to pull the permit this upcoming week. Does the permit have to conform to the building code at the time it was pulled, meaning my 7/16 is ok? Would that mean I have to have it done and inspected before Jan 1st? I am totally clueless here I would appreciate any advice.

If I need a new deck can I install over my old one? Also I haven’t finished the clips, there is a ridiculous amount of bracing everywhere and I literally don’t fit in some places. My flexibility is GARBAGE because of my weight training and that makes it works. If I have to tear the old deck off I could access the clips WAYYYYYYYY easier.

Brock, sounds like you are trying to do more than you can currently do.
You’re gonna need a permit to tear off the deck & reinstall a compliant one with the proper nails & spacing.
With the insurance increase I’ll guess you’re east of I-95.

Recommend you call this fellow that specializes in this stuff.
Good luck.
844-WIND-MIT

Thanks for the feedback, yes, east of 95.

My deck is completely undamaged. Since I’ve been crawling around the attic I am able to verify this visually.

The ONLY reason for a new deck is if it is required with the new Florida building code 7th edition.

If that new code doesn’t require me to have one with my existing residential structure then I will not install a new roof deck.

If the permit date defines what code to use, I will be in the 6th edition code, and will not be installing a new roof deck.

I was looking for potential clarification of the code. Understanding the code is more along the lines of law, the actual install is labor and basic tool use, thus what I am able to do is the actual install - quite easily (other than those horrible clips). Understanding the code for someone not versed in it takes time.

The only service I will require is an inspector when I’m done. There are some parts of the code where it appears I may need an inspector at some points during the roof job??? Again this is an issue with understanding the code.

I guess home inspectors are like lawyers who actually do physical labor LOL

The roof deck you have is OK.
The nail spacing is approx half what you currently have.
You would have to tear off the covering (shingles, cement tiles) to re-nail the deck.

Plywood/OSB roof sheathing with a minimum thickness of 7/16"inch attached to the roof truss/rafter (spaced a maximum of
24"inches o.c.) by 8d common nails spaced a maximum of 6" inches in the field.

I’m not so sure, but if you tear off the covering I think you’ll require a permit. Consider a re-roof & get it over with.
Also, the best credit is your openings (glazed & solid) would have to be protected. Do you already have that protection?
If not, IMO I’d be more motivated to protect all openings including the overhead garage door (if any).
Perhaps @ddagostino will see this & help out.

Welcome to our forum, Brock!..Enjoy! :smiley:

Again thank you.

Yes I am doing a re-roof down to the decking. I should have said that in my first post. I have been researching it quite a bit and was on the forefront of my mind, I forget that OTHER people don’t know what I’m thinking so I start rambling away!!! I got nervous when I read the new code that requires thicker decking. Perhaps that only applies to new construction?

House has no opening protection. The people who lived here did absolutely NOTHING, no maintenance. My roof doesn’t leak, isn’t damaged and looks good, the reason for the change is insurance cost. The next thing on my list is the impact windows, after the roof is finished.

I found huge list online of Miami-Dade approved roofing materials. Even though I am in Martin County, I assume anything approved there should be fine here. Shingles, starter shingles, peel and stick water barrier, ridge vent and ridge vent shingles. That peel and stick layer costs more but it will save a lot of labor time not having to install felt with those those cap nails. The code says a self adhering bitumen layer is sufficient, no felt needed if I do that. (StormGuard Film-Surfaced Peel and Stick Roof Leak Barrier Roll) This is instantly waterproof so if it happens to rain i’m ok.

According to the information I have, the general insurance discounts largest to smallest are as follows - toenail to clips, FBC proper shingles, proper deck nailing with 8d spaced 6 inches, hurricane opening protection, SWR. Maybe this is outdated?

Thanks brother! In my research I have found MANY useful threads on here. Great information and discussions.

You’re welcome, Brock. :smiley:

Good Evening Brock
Give me a call, If you would like. I am in that area alot, I would be happy to swing by and do a courtesy inspection for you and go over exactly what you currently have and what you would need to upgrade any Credits you may be eligible for.
Matt
Office- 561-350-8125
Cell/ Text- 239-839-4742

1 Like

Go Matt! :cowboy_hat_face:

Matt trying to get some word of mouth advertising I see.

That is customer service though.
A+

Thanks I appreciate that, that’s a great offer.

As far as the word of mouth advertising, this is a clever way IMO.

I did after all say I would need to pay someone to do the inspection when I finish it.

Now I already have a name, a number and the knowledge that this man is in my area often, leading to the conclusion that it can be scheduled quickly.

1 Like

Matt is my neighbor. You do not know him.
I know what he was thinking & it was not self-promotion.
Acts of kindness do exist.

1 Like

I don’t know if this is directed at me, but, I did not mean to indicate he was advertising.

Someone else mentioned word of mouth advertising.

I appreciate his kind offer and in addition to that, I now have the info of someone when I need his service.

His offer of help tells me a bit about his character so when I do need a paid service he will first on my mind!

1 Like

Thank you Brock.
Please note a 100 mile round trip is not worth the measly $150 WindMit fee.

Yeah I am not a fan of driving either, especially in South Florida traffic

To me the worst part of an inspection would be crawling around the attic. That’s got to be awful, especially in the middle of summer like at noon.

I’m doing the clips in my own attic and I wait until dark so its not like an oven.

Is that the worst part of the job to you?

Attics. Looking at a multitude of systems-plumbing-roof-electrical-structural-termites-insulation-AC ductwork-Windmit stuff. Sooooo much fun.
In the summer they can get up to 130 degrees & can be deadly if you don’t know what you’re doing.
I always do the attic space last. Then collect $$ & get into the car with AC. :cowboy_hat_face:

Did you ever run a permit search? Send me the address inspect@alltropic.com & I’ll run one for ya.
I have a Buildfax subscription & can run up to 80 monthly.

Yup I figured being in the attic was the worst!

I’m sorry for my lack of understanding, but what is a permit search?

A history of building permits that were issued on a property.
It will show what type, who the licensed contractor was, if it is still open or closed out, and sometimes the cost is listed.
Sample on my home.

MAJOR SYSTEMS REPORT+

DETAILED PROPERTY IMPROVEMENT HISTORY

Part 1 of 3REPORT SUMMARY

11459 WOODCHUCK DR BOCA RATON FL 33428

This Major Systems Report+ contains the following information:

## AT LEAST*19YEARS AGO roof Last Roof Work Found 2 permits for this type of work.
## 13.4YEARS AGO remodel Last Remodel Work Found 3 permits for this type of work.
## 19.1YEARS AGO electrical Last Electrical Work Found 3 permits for this type of work.
## AT LEAST*19YEARS AGO plumbing Last Plumbing Work Found NO permits for this type of work.
## AT LEAST*19YEARS AGO mechanical Last Mechanical Work Found NO permits for this type of work.
## 19.1YEARS AGO pool Last Pool Work Found 3 permits for this type of work.
* age derived from most recent New Construction work recorded.
## 0FOUND damage Damage-related Work Found NO permits relating to damage
## 3FOUND repair-replace Repair/Replace Work Found 3 permits relating to repair/replace

BuildFax searched its national database of building permits, and identified the following permit-issuing authority for 11459 WOODCHUCK DR BOCA RATON FL 33428:

Palm Beach County, Building Division
2300 N. Jog Road
West Palm Beach, FL 33411
(561) 233-5100
No other permit records found between Feb 01, 1981 and Nov 02, 2020.

BuildFax matched 11459 WOODCHUCK DR BOCA RATON FL 33428 to the following address from the source shown above: 11459 Woodchuck Dr, , . Please see the last page of this report for additional information and disclaimers.

Part 2 of 3PERMIT RECORDS

Below are the details on all permits found on this property.

Permit may involve repair-related workPermit may be for alteration, remodeling, and/or additions Permit #: B-2007-019585-0000
Permit type preferred: BUILDING

Description: Door - O.H. or Roll-up-Replacement -Garage DOOR - O.H. OR ROLL-UP-R REPLACE GARAGE DOOR
Work class: Renovation/Repair of Building/Structure
Permit status: Complete
Job Cost: $ 1,350.00 Applied date: Jun 18, 2007

Issued date: Jul 03, 2007
Completed date: Jul 25, 2007
Status date: Jul 03, 2007

Permit #: B-2007-013853-0000

Description: Shutter 4 ALUMINUM ACCORDIONS
Work class: Installation of Building System
Job Cost: $ 1,000.00 Applied date: May 02, 2007

Issued date: May 17, 2007
Completed date: Jun 04, 2007
Status date: May 17, 2007

Permit #: B-2004-032481-0000

Description: Shutter INSTALL 10 ACCORDIAN SHUTTERS AND 1 STORM PANEL
Job Cost: $ 4,000.00 Applied date: Oct 20, 2004

Issued date: Nov 06, 2004
Completed date: Dec 14, 2004
Status date: Nov 06, 2004

Permit may involve pool-related workPermit may relate to electrical work Permit #: E-2001-034837-0001
Permit type preferred: ELECTRICAL

Description: Pool Electric (Sub) POOL W/ELECTRIC HEATER C/C DECK W/8X8 FTG
Work class: Construct New Building/Structure
Job Cost: $ 0.00 Issued date: Oct 16, 2001

Completed date: Oct 11, 2002
Status date: Oct 16, 2001

Permit may involve pool-related workPermit may relate to electrical work Permit #: B-2001-034837-0000

Description: Pool Residential - In-Ground POOL W/ELECTRIC HEATER C/C DECK W/8X8 FTG
Work class: Construct New Building/Structure
Job Cost: $ 12,000.00 Applied date: Sep 25, 2001

Issued date: Oct 16, 2001

Permit may involve pool-related work Permit #: B-2001-034837-0002

Description: Pool Cages (Screen Enclosure) SCREEN ROOF AND ENCLOSUR FOR POOL BARRIER EXISTING DECK W/8X8 FTG
Job Cost: $ 3,500.00 Applied date: Oct 03, 2001

Issued date: Oct 16, 2001

Permit may relate to electrical work Permit #: E-2001-001019-0000
Permit type preferred: ELECTRICAL

Description: Electrical Low Voltage Alarm System (SFD) ELECTRICAL/LOW VOLTAGE A
Job Cost: $ 199.00 Applied date: Jan 10, 2001

Issued date: Jan 23, 2001
Completed date: Jan 23, 2001
Status date: Jan 23, 2001

Permit may involve repair-related workPermit may be for alteration, remodeling, and/or additionsPermit may relate to roof work Permit #: B-1997-018256-0000

Description: Reroofing 3/12 TIMBERLINE 1/4/12 W-M16-N
Job Cost: $ 6,000.00 Applied date: Jun 09, 1997

Issued date: Jun 11, 1997
Completed date: Jul 07, 1997
Status date: Jun 11, 1997

Permit may involve repair-related workPermit may be for alteration, remodeling, and/or additionsPermit may relate to roof work Permit #: B-1993-020908-0000

Description: Reroofing FLAT SP-5
Permit status: Excluded
Job Cost: $ 1,500.00 Applied date: Jul 02, 1993

Issued date: Jul 07, 1993
Status date: Jul 07, 1993

Permit #: B-1981-012670-0000

Description: PVT SPA
Permit status: Permit Cancelled
Job Cost: $ 0.00 Status date: Jan 01, 1981

Part 3 of 3ADDENDUM

1. BY EVALUATING THE DATA CONTAINED ON THE SITE, THE EVALUATING PARTY AGREES TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF USE AND ACKNOWLEDGES THAT SUCH AGREEMENT CONSTITUTES A BINDING CONTRACT BETWEEN THE EVALUATING PARTY AND BUILDERADIUS, DBA BuildFax.com.

Report Serial Number: 20201130123216280453-4ILUIC-428264909

Misunderstood my meaning if you were talking to me.
I was inferring that he will get word of mouth due to the act of kindness. Even if he doesn’t realize it.
Honesty is the best policy